skype application coming up blank

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

skype application coming up blank

i download the skype application - all worked fine.

went to use it a week later and the application opens as a blank black screen with three 

menu buttons: skype (only option to close), tools (change language, connection,accessibility) and help.

i am completely at a loss to know what to do - i have uninstalled and reinstalled skype & it has made no difference

i have checked the firewall and sype is allowed

i am logged onto the same wifi as when it worked fine ... any help please?? hil 

hil
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (947 Views)

Re: skype application coming up blank

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type winver.exe and then press Enter.

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6989
Message 2 of 9 (809 Views)

hello there, i am using internet explorer 9 but usually use chrome for browsing, gmail etc. when i check 'about internet explroer' , the dialogue box is blank the laptop is running windows 7 - under system information it says x 64- based PC for system type hope this helps, hil
hil
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (803 Views)

Probably the best thing to do right now is to uninstall IE9. Windows should automatically revert to IE8, if this was your previous version. You can uninstall IE9 from Windows Control Panel -> Programs and Features – Installed Updates. Let’s see if Skype works with the previous version of Internet Explorer. Subsequently you may try to re-install IE9.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 9 (797 Views)

that worked ... you're brilliant, thanks, hil

hil
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (792 Views)

Great:(y):

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 9 (784 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there

I've got the same problem... When I start Skype on my laptop (64-bit system, Windows 7) I get the login box with no login fields but the three mentioned tabs at the top.

I've followed through your advice to deinstall IE9 and have also done a complete deinstallation/reinstallation of Skype - no luck...

Is there anything else I can do to get the program up and running again?

Thanks

Regards

Don

Edit: found the solution to my problem here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/My-Skype-login-screen-is-blank/m-p/408777#M36578

thanks

Duckster
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (776 Views)

i am having great problems with Skype and it is getting very fraustrating.

I have recently installed version 5.8. I get a logon screen but then after i fill in my name and password it just disappears. An error message arrives telling me it does not work with Microsoft windows- do i want to send an error message?

I have tried everything but cannot use it can you help please?

thank you

Ian

milothecat3
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (767 Views)

Duckster wrote:

Hi there

I've got the same problem... When I start Skype on my laptop (64-bit system, Windows 7) I get the login box with no login fields but the three mentioned tabs at the top.

I've followed through your advice to deinstall IE9 and have also done a complete deinstallation/reinstallation of Skype - no luck...

Is there anything else I can do to get the program up and running again?

Thanks

Regards

Don

Uninstalling/reinstalling Skype willnever help on this problem. There is nothing wrong with Skype but the problem is with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript. If your Internet Explorer is now version IE8, then do this:

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

The Command Prompt window should show:

C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

If what you are seeing is:

C:\Windows\System32>

then in the Command Prompt type: cd..  (2 dots are important) and press Enter.

Now you should see this in the Command Prompt:

C:\Windows>

Next type cd syswow64 and press Enter.

Now you should see this in the Command Prompt:

C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

Type this and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

After you have pressed Enter you should receive a message saying that DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer.

Make now the test showing if your Internet Explorer can execute JavaScript.

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE 32-bit version) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 9 (756 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling