Re: skype 5.5 and 5.7 beta both hang on sign in wi...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: skype 5.5 and 5.7 beta both hang on sign in with 40 to 50% cpu

stopped ToolbarUpdater.exe 

I did have click to call on chrome. I removed it

Started skype - still 40-50% cpu

JohnEuro
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 20 (1,560 Views)

What happens now if you continue to login? Can you press the Sign in button and open Skype window.

Also, what version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer? Note, that even if you are using another browser, Skype is using IE for creating and handling the login screen.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6312
Message 12 of 20 (1,547 Views)

Once I type in a character in the user id, cpu hits 40-50% on skype and 95% or so overall. The laptop slows down. I can continue to enter userid and pwd, hit sign in and get the wheel on the window. But that's it - it never progresses, have left it for 30 minutes. It does not matter whether it's a valid or invalid userid

I have ie 8.0.6 (ie 9 does not work on my version of xp) I downloaded it again but same issue when I tried skype with cpu

Looking at other threads - I did see where it helped others open skype if the compatibility mode was set to xp service pack 3. I don't have that on my dropdown list of options

This may be a red herring as I don't have it on my other laptop either and skype works on that 

JohnEuro
Casual Adventurer
Message 13 of 20 (1,533 Views)

Uncheck the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for". Skype should not be set to compatibility with a previous version of Windows. With the settings shown in the attached image, your Skype is running in compatibility with Windows 95 and this is very wrong. Because your Windows version is Windows XP SP3, you don't have this option available in the selection box.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6312
Message 14 of 20 (1,528 Views)

Sometimes Running Skype in XPSP3 Compatibility Mode is a workaround for Windows Vista / Windows 7 System. In XP System Skype should not be run in this mode.

Try to uninstall Click2Call from Control Panel.

Check if the issue persists.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6070
Message 15 of 20 (1,522 Views)

Compatibility mode is unchecked when I run skype. I just checked the box to show the drop down options.

I have now uninstalled clicktocall (previously I only took off from Chrome) from the control panel

Re-tried skype - same issue persists with CPU / unable to sign in

JohnEuro
Casual Adventurer
Message 16 of 20 (1,515 Views)

Did you tried Skype 5.6?

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

Alternatively, You may also try this temporary solution and just hope that the next Skype updates would fix the issues you are currently experiencing.

Install an older versions of Skype.

You can download ANY versions of Skype from OldApps.com

You need to perform a clean install to install an older version.

How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 17 of 20 (1,506 Views)

hmmm

5.6 has the same cpu issue

I went back to 5.1 and it works....

JohnEuro
Casual Adventurer
Message 18 of 20 (1,497 Views)

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 19 of 20 (1,490 Views)

Well now 5.1 has the 50% cpu issue. Only thing I can think is that XP automatic update install applied an update

Tried also 5.7 this morning and 50% remains on this version

Thanks ruwim and Tamin for your suggestions

Is there anyone from Skype replying on this forum?

JohnEuro
Casual Adventurer
Message 20 of 20 (1,463 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling