"Problem with playback device"

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

"Problem with playback device"

Hello - I have gone through process of testing mic and sound - all work on my new Lenovo but whenever I try to make or receive call via Skype, it says "Problem with playback device".  On the other end, it tells the caller I need to update to new version of Skype.  I recently did this - I am running Skype 5.5. 

Suggestions?

Thanks 

talljosh9
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (15,827 Views)

Re: "Problem with playback device"

I have the same problem :sad:(

lilydub94
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 6 (15,811 Views)

Hello talljosh9,

I'm not sure what operating system you are using, but I have an Windows XP version of the fix.  If you are running Vista or Windows 7 the procedure should basically be the same.  Here is the link for the instructions:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/support/user-guides/sound-setup-xp/

Good luck!

Chris K.

Skype Enterprise Support

If you found a post useful then please give Kudos. If it helped to fix your issue then mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks......
ChrisK
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 3 of 6 (15,802 Views)

Your above fix is Useless,about like my program with this "Problem with playback device"... error..

alacpl4funiii
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 6 (10,719 Views)

It's possible that your sound device(s) are being controlled by something else. Do you have any other programs open that use your Microphone?
Atomizer_Zero
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (10,710 Views)

I fixed it by going to that website the previous user put (https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11067/how-do-i-adjust-the-sound-settings-on-my-computer-and-in-sk...)

I have windows 7, though. 

So, I went to control panel/hardware and sound/Sound/Manage audio devices

then

I clicked the speakers I was using, then hit the properties button

disabled the speaker, then went properties again to enable it back on

then clicked on the speakers, again, hit configure

then click test.

go through that process and voila. 

All good in the hood. 

mendezruth
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (2,535 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling