"Fatal error during installation" message when try...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

"Fatal error during installation" message when trying to open Skype.

I recently "upgraded" to Vista SP2 and now, even with installing/uninstalling several times, trying to reboot, etc. I CANNOT for the life of me get Skype  work. Every time I click on the icon, the "Windows configuring" message comes up, then it repeats "fatal error during installation". I've tried downloading the beta version, regular versions, etc. Please help!

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Great :(y):

View solution in original post
maddenkw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 85 (22,874 Views)

Re: "Fatal error during installation" message when trying to open Skype.

Here is a Mr. FixIT

Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter

Click the Run Now Button.

Re-download Skype

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.7.0.137.msi

Start the software installation

Make sure that the Windows Installer service is set to Automatic.

Also, Clear the Temp folder and check if it helps you install the Skype.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6253
Message 2 of 85 (22,629 Views)

The "Windows configuring" configuring message indicates that Skype has detected that some components originally installed on your computer are missing or are corrupted. When you press the shortcut created by Skype during the installation, this shortcut actually starts the installation package, which is checking if all components are installed and only after this check, the actual program is started.

If installing the new Beta version, using the link provided by Tamim, will not resolve your problem, you may try to start Skype using directly the Skype.exe file.

Open this folder on your computer:

If your Vista is 32-bit, then

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\

If your Vista is 64-bit, then

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

Double click on the Skype.exe file (may only be shown as “Skype”), and see if the program now starts.

Also, open Windows Event Viewer. Look there for any error or Warning messages related to MsiInstaller. It may look as something similar to this, but with a different description of the actually missing components.

MsiInstallerError.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6415
Message 3 of 85 (22,623 Views)

ruwim - Oh my gosh, I don't know how or why, but it worked! I SWEAR I tried that another time and it didn't do a darn thing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! My husband is deployed right now and it would be awful if I didn't get to skype with him when he has the ability. THANK YOU!

maddenkw
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 85 (22,608 Views)

Great :(y):

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 85 (22,600 Views)

I'm sorry, I tried all of the above but it still doesn't work! I've downloaded skype a billion times now, but every time I try to open it, it show "Fatal Error" and says "Failed to load library 'd3d9.dll' and the only thing I can do is to click ok! Can anyone help me?

yesiam555
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 85 (21,865 Views)

yesiam555 wrote:

I'm sorry, I tried all of the above but it still doesn't work! I've downloaded skype a billion times now, but every time I try to open it, it show "Fatal Error" and says "Failed to load library 'd3d9.dll' and the only thing I can do is to click ok! Can anyone help me?

What Windows version are you on and what is the version of DirectX installed on your computer?

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostic program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. Open this file in any text editor. You will find there all the necessary information about the version of DirectX installed (should be at least 9.0c), your graphic card and driver. Look also for any possible error messages.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 85 (21,860 Views)

ruwim!!!! what do you do if there are error message in event viewer??
bdub0061
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 85 (20,460 Views)

bdub0061 wrote:
ruwim!!!! what do you do if there are error message in event viewer??

You may copy and paste these error messages here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 85 (20,447 Views)

Ruwim.. How?

bdub0061
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 85 (20,421 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling