Re: "Cannot Connect to download server"

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Hi I'm having the same problem and I've tried all Overlord's suggestions but nothing has worked. I'm in China and I'd really rather not use the version available from Tom skype (the version for China). That version is not only giving me problems, it also has alot of advertisments I'd really rather not deal with....Any other possible solutions?

By the way, every time I try to get into the download page on skype.com I get redirected to Tom skype....and also downloading it from any other webpages also results in unable to connect to download server....

Please use plain text.
non_plus
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 21 of 23 (1,577 Views)

I have no idea if this will work in China (and I'd be interested in hearing if it does or does not) but you can try this link:  http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

The full installer for v5.8.0.154 is available there, if tom.com will let you connect to it.

You probably know this already, but if you've had the Chinese version installed already, you may have to do a complete uninstall before re-installing to clear the remnants of tom.com.  By complete I mean files, registry entries, etc., the type of clean house that Revo Uninstaller would do.

Good luck.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Please use plain text.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 846
Message 22 of 23 (1,574 Views)

[ Edited ]

OH MY GOD!!!!Thank you so much g4pilut!!!! It worked~!!!!:(y):x2!

Please use plain text.
non_plus
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 23 of 23 (1,561 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling