Re: "Add a Contact" Window Problems

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

"Add a Contact" Window Problems

[ Edited ]

"Add a Contact" Window Problems

There are times that users are seeing just a blank page on an error message suggesting to "Check Your Connection" when they open the Add a Contact window (screenshots pasted below);

the image

the image

Below are some suggestions that may help fix such problems;

Check if Internet Explorer is not Offline

,regardless of the internet browser you set as default or prefer, as Skype uses IE engines.  Check if you can access normal webpages using the Internet Explorer browser.

Clean and Clear IE

Delete Temporary Internet Files, clear cache cookies, browsing history , etc

Reset IE

Click Internet Options >> Advanced. Then click Restore Advanced Settings and Reset. Click OK then restart.  Note:  Resetting IE to default will remove any personalized IE Settings, Add-ons/Plugins, Configurations, etc.

You can also use the Fix It Option in the Page below to automatically reset IE to default;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Reinstall or Repair IE.  

If the suggestion above doesn't fix the issue, open the link below and click the Run Now button to repair or reinstall IE

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Remove Content Adviser in Internet Explorer

Visit the link below for more details about Content Adviser and how to disable/remove it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Internet-Explorer-Content-Advisor-frequently-asked-quest...

Temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall

just to check if they are causing the problem. Don't browse any webpage or use other applications that uses internet connection while they are disabled. Immediately reactivate them after testing. If this solve the issue, then you may need to adjust or change some settings in your anti-virus or firewall.

Complete Skype Uninstall - Then Reinstall

This procedure differs from the usual uninstall as this will remove/delete almost all traces of Skype in your computer.  This will allow you to re-install a fresh copy of Skype in your computer (preferably the latest version), and possibly fix the problems you are currently experiencing.  Please visit the link below on how to backup your files and how to do the complete uninstall process. 

How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype?

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1672
Message 1 of 21 (21,543 Views)

If none of the above options work, try this one below because i had also the same exact problem about 'check your connection' and this solution worked perfectly fine for me:

1. From Start, type "Run" in the search box

2. Type in "Regedit' in the run box

3. Go to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\HTTP Filters

4. Delete the "RPA" folder

I don't know what the key is for, but when I deleted this, the "Add a contacts" option worked just as it used to. Hope it helps :happy:

Dhika
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 21 (21,205 Views)

removing the RPA folder in the registry did nothing for me.  Add Contacts still comes up blank for me (with clouds)

vulcan_
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 21 (20,692 Views)

vulcan_ wrote:

removing the RPA folder in the registry did nothing for me.  Add Contacts still comes up blank for me (with clouds)

See the answer to your other post given here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Windows-technical-errors-MEGATHREAD-SOLVED/m-p/428609#M3...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7064
Message 4 of 21 (20,680 Views)

[ Edited ]

vulcan_ wrote:

Please visit the thread below for instructions and suggestions on how to deal with such activities;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Cannot-Add-a-Contact-Solution/m-p/429025/highlight/true#M38934

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6510
Message 5 of 21 (20,671 Views)

i want to add my friend plz tell me all procedure related to it

yashpal
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 21 (19,969 Views)

What if you just have a white screen, and that's it? It won't let me add contacts for some reason. :catsad:

BuggaBuzz
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 21 (12,875 Views)

BuggaBuzz wrote:

What if you just have a white screen, and that's it? It won't let me add contacts for some reason. :catsad:

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
Which version of Internet Explorer installed on your PC?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 21 (12,872 Views)

I tried all of the above and I still get the "Check your connection" problem when trying to add a contact. I cleared and resetted both 32/64 IE versions, I completely reinstalled skype and deleted the reg entry Dhika suggested. I made sure skype is not blocked by any AV/Firewall. Using W7 64, Skype 6.0.0.120

Zero-Blade
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 21 (11,621 Views)

Check Proxy settings

In Internet Explorer, Go to, Tools >> Internet Options... >> Connections>> Lan settings , Use a proxy server... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check. Make sure automatically detect settings is enabled. (Marked)

ieoption.PNG

Check Connection Settings

In Skype Click Tools >> Click Connection options... 

type any port between 1024 and 65535 

check this settings "use port 80 and 443.....incoming connections" 

... if it had been ticked, then... Remove that check and try then.

proxy.PNG

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 10 of 21 (11,619 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling