Re: new installation, programs hangs

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

new installation, programs hangs

Have installed Skype today. Can login to account over the internet, but starting Skype from Start, All Programs just hangs. I am loging in with my Microsoft account. 

oznet
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (395 Views)

The problem is with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript.

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on (XP, Vista, Windows 7)? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5838
Message 2 of 10 (386 Views)

I did mention that I can access via the browser, but not via the installed program (launching Skype). I have several PCs, works with desktop winXP 32 bit & Android cell phone, but hangs with my Netbook. I don't use IE, don't like it, too slow. I use Safari and Chrome (latest versions). Anyway I said that I can access the account via the browser, so I don't know where does IE comes into it.
oznet
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (367 Views)

Please install latest IE

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download-ie

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6011
Message 4 of 10 (363 Views)

oznet wrote:
I did mention that I can access via the browser, but not via the installed program (launching Skype). I have several PCs, works with desktop winXP 32 bit & Android cell phone, but hangs with my Netbook. I don't use IE, don't like it, too slow. I use Safari and Chrome (latest versions). Anyway I said that I can access the account via the browser, so I don't know where does IE comes into it.

Skype is using Internet Explorer installed on your computer in order to create and manage the login screen and several other functions. The empty login screen is almost in 100% cases due to Internet Explorer not being able to execute JavaScript. The issue can, as rule, be resolved by proper registration of jscript dlls or updating your IE installation.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 10 (361 Views)

I shall not re-install IE even if it means that I cannot use skype. It's been there on my computer but I never open it. At any rate there is no IE on my cell phone and it works OK.

Your solution is like a doctor recommending asprin for all illnesses.

oznet
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (331 Views)

It’s absolutely up to you what you want to do with your Internet Explorer and Skype, but Skype for Windows will still not work without Internet Explorer not being able to execute JavaScript. Skype on other platforms is not using IE.

Message delivered. Roger and over.:bigsmile:

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 10 (321 Views)

I shall not re-install IE even if it means that I cannot use skype.

You can try older version Skype 4

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup.msi

Live ID requires JavaScript to login and version older than 5.11 does not support MSN login.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6011
Message 8 of 10 (304 Views)

The IE on my comuter is ver. 8 and javascript is enabled.

oznet
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (292 Views)

Try this if you have Windows 7 installed on your netbook:

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

The Command Prompt window should show:

C:\Windows\System32>

If this is not the case, then in the Command Prompt type:  cd c:\windows\system32 and press Enter.

Type this and then press Enter:

regsvr32  jscript.dll

After  Enter you should receive a message saying that DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer.

Make now the test showing if your Internet Explorer can execute JavaScript.

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE) this page:

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 10 (275 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling