my skype keeps shutting down

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

my skype keeps shutting down

Skype has worked well for a month , now all of the sudden it shuts down when you try to do anything. If you look at a room,try to see a contact request ,anything.. idk why and have un-installed and reinstalled several times. and tried all trouble shooting methods..Whats the problem? and how do i fix it?

duckie4201
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (3,377 Views)

Re: my skype keeps shutting down

I am also facing similar problem , I get an error in event viewer as "

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 5.5.0.124, time stamp: 0x4e96a02b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16850, time stamp: 0x4e211485 "

Shraddha
Casual Tourist
Message 2 of 8 (3,268 Views)

The fastest method currently, to resolve this is to install over,what you have, using the beta release here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 815
Message 3 of 8 (3,250 Views)

Hey im the same problems but right when i log in skype 5.5 shuts down and i've uninstalled and reinstalled sveral times

syed01
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 8 (2,944 Views)

My Skype also is shutting down. Have rebooted, re-installed started right on the New Year.  All help will be greatly appreciated.  And yes, it had been working just perfect.  No new program was installed and windows defender has it listed and is enabled correctly.

moeburnham
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (2,868 Views)

I been having the same issues and restoring my sysyem and uninstalling skype and nothing works

allantaylor84
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (2,845 Views)

The main problem are progressive ads, you can either wait for it to be fixed or install over beta 5.7

WOWKHRiku
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (2,829 Views)

duckie4201 wrote:

Skype has worked well for a month , now all of the sudden it shuts down when you try to do anything. If you look at a room,try to see a contact request ,anything.. idk why and have un-installed and reinstalled several times. and tried all trouble shooting methods..Whats the problem? and how do i fix it?

Uninstall the current version of Skype, then reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

Download Skype 5.7 Beta for Windows:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta-full/

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype".

4. Re-run Skype

Check if the issue persists.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6928
Message 8 of 8 (2,789 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling