main.corrupt file; how to repair it??

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

main.corrupt file; how to repair it??

Hi

I got a problem with the "main" file : it has become corrupted around one month ago :I have now in my username folder 2 "main" files: one which is working fine with the info about my last one month  chat history and a second file, a main.corrupt file, with all the info about my previous 3-4 years of chat.
Is there a way I can fix this corrupt file?? I don't care about my new main file.
In the chatsync folder there are still all the info about my 3-4 years of chat history.
Do you know any programs which can fix this main.corrupt file? 
I tried to contact skype customer service but they don't know anything...so sad!

It would be amazing solving this issue!

Thanks a lot!

Giulio

cattajulio
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (4,455 Views)

Re: main.corrupt file; how to repair it??

[ Edited ]

don't need to repair the file

simply rename the main.corrupt to main.db

here is a tiny program

SkypeLogView

nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6516
Message 2 of 13 (4,441 Views)

See this Jira case on a similar issue.

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-3775

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7074
Message 3 of 13 (4,430 Views)

Thanks Tamim,

I renamed the file  main.corrupt to main.db and the whole chat history reappeared (even if the main.corrupt file didn't have the info of the last 2 months in which I got a new main file working...)

I have an other issue now: I'd like to copy/save this main.db file in the case something happen again in the future or if I need to format my computer: I can't copy this main.db file even when skype is not running...

How can I copy it??

Thanks

cattajulio
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 13 (4,393 Views)

What happen when you are trying to copy the main.db file?

Do you receive any error code / messages?

try to boot your computer to Safe Mode and then try copying the file.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 13 (4,385 Views)

I tried to copy this main.db file also in safe mode but I got the same error:

0x8007045D (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error)

cattajulio
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (4,232 Views)

From a run box type 'msconfig' and select the Startup Tab. You can uncheck the applications you wish to stop from loading with windows.

msconfig.PNG

msconfigdisablenonm$.PNG

Run the chkdsk command with ADMIN rights.

a)     Click Start.

b)     In the search box type cmd

c)     Right click and select Run as administrator.

d)     Type chkdsk /f /r /x /b C: and press ENTER. (Assume that your main.db file is located in C drive.)

e)     Type y and press ENTER.

Restart your PC in Safe Mode With Networking.

Now try copying the file.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 13 (4,223 Views)

Hi,

I followed what you wrote me but when I restarted my laptop in a safe mode after 2-3hours, it was kind of blocked loading a file...

so I turned the laptop off and restarted it ;I let the computer checked and repair all the files: after 3 hours of deep checking the computer finally switched on and my main.db file was working fine: now I can move it without any problems!

Giulio

cattajulio
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (4,158 Views)

Glad to hear and thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 13 (4,157 Views)

People tell me that I have to rename the main.corrupt to main.db.

What do I do with the original (new) main?

Do I move this first or do I delete this?

michelrenirie
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 13 (3,909 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling