internal mic not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

internal mic not working

this has been an on-going problem for the past several months. The internal mic on my laptop is not working when i'm on a skype call.

tech specs:

windows 7 ultimate 64bit - latest updates and drivers installed

audio: conexant 20561 SmartAudio - lastes drivers installed

When i set up the audio: Tools > Options > Audio Settings, the internal mic is working just fine. The sensitivity level is great both when Automatically adjust mic settings is checked or not.

As i mentioned above, only when i place or receive a phone call the mic becomes unusable. if i literally SCREAM the other part can barely hear my voice.

any suggestion/help?

Thanks

Rick

P.S.: on iphone and mac it works perfectly

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

See this:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Microphone-not-working-Conexant-20561-Smartaudio-HD/td-p/245110

Try to disable all enhancements. Open Windows Sound Control Panel -> Recording devices -> Properties -> Advanced.

View solution in original post
rick969
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (55,646 Views)

Re: internal mic not working

See this:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Microphone-not-working-Conexant-20561-Smart...

Try to disable all enhancements. Open Windows Sound Control Panel -> Recording devices -> Properties -> Advanced.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6578
Message 2 of 12 (55,623 Views)

i can't believe that the checkbox "Enable Audio Enhancement" was the problem. Thanks a lot for the solution. I just tested and it worked perfectly.

rick969
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (55,611 Views)

Yes. In general, Skype doesn’t like any “Audio enhancements” at all.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (55,610 Views)

I'm having a similar problem. I've just got a new laptop, a Lenovo G580, with windows 7 and have had some really bad sound problems when skyping. The people on the other end says it sounds lika a big fan and what they say is echoing. The more I talk the more the fan sound increases. But on my end I hear everything perfect. When I use my headset the sound is perfect on the other end.

I disabled sound ehancements and it got better, still some fan sound.

I've followed the instructions on for how to adjust the sound settings on the computer but when skyping it changes them all around automatically. I unchecked the box where other programs automatically changes the sound options but it made no difference.

Is there any other way to improve the sound than what I've already done? I'm so tired of having sound problems with skype, it was the same with Vista although then there was sudden feedback screeching in the other end.

All advices are appreciated.

jokkearsenal
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (54,872 Views)

Have you tried to uncheck the option “Automatically adjust microphone settings” in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings? However, if you are using the internal built-in microphone and it pickups the noise from laptop’s CPU fan, then this might be the problem.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 12 (54,867 Views)

I will try that and see what happens. But if it is the fan that effects the internal mic, then what can I do about that? feels a bit like a bummer if the fan is the problem and shouldn't that be a problem for everyone when skyping in that case?

jokkearsenal
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (54,823 Views)

oh and i am using skype vers. 6.0.0.126 on windows xp

blitzmanguy
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (52,393 Views)

I checked your answers page and tried turning off the allow enhancements setting.  Still doesn't work.

stevedaggett
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 12 (50,497 Views)

did you try to install newer drivers ?

laptopservis
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (49,354 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling