i can see the other person, but they can't see me.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

i can see the other person, but they can't see me.

okay, i'm new to skype and i used it for the first time yesterday. i could see my friend and hear her perfectly, and she could hear me, but said i wasn't showing up on the camera. at first i looked at the bottom tool bar and saw that i had video turned off, so i clicked it on, and i showed up...but only for about two seconds. so i turned it off and turned it back on again...again i only showed up for a few seconds.

my computer (running with windows 7) says that the camera is properly working, so i don't think it's a hardware issue, because as i said before, i show up for a second. i just don't know if it's the windows software or the skype software that's giving me trouble.

can anybody help? i REALLY want to be able to see and talk to my overseas friends!

thanks.

graybug
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (4,576 Views)

Re: i can see the other person, but they can't see me.

Yeah, I am having a similar problem. I used skype for the first time today. I was able to see and hear my girlfriend perfectly, and she was able to her me as well. The problem is that even though my webcam was on and I was able to see myself in the little window at bottom right, she wasn't able to see me. How can I fix this problem. 

TheDrifter
Casual Tourist
Message 2 of 7 (4,244 Views)

First thing I suggest is that you make sure you and your friend both have the latest version of Skype installed.  Click on Help > About Skype to see the specific version number.  If you don't see 5.8.0.158, the version current as of today, update via this link: 

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If you still have the problem once you're sure you're both on the latest version of Skype, you should try to determine if the problem is at your end of the call or at her end.

You just started using Skype but do you have another contact you can try a video call with?  If so, do you have the same problem with them?

How about your friend?  Does she have the same problem with other contacts or only with you?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1020
Message 3 of 7 (4,235 Views)

I have the same problem except when I tried connecting with others, they all had the same problem...no one can see me. I don't think there is something wrong with my webcam because I can see myself clearly in the bottom right corner

ndude03
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 7 (4,203 Views)

i can see the other person but they cannot see me

amapola725
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 7 (3,448 Views)

looks like we all have the same problem with skype we can see the other person and hear them and they can hear us but not see us yet the camera is working fine i don't see any answers to the qustion asked by so many of us what is wrong we can't all have messed up cameras ?????

onceinalifetime
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (3,424 Views)

What do you see when in Skype you go to Tools -> Options -> Video settings?

What is the currently installed Skype version? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

Was video working for you with any previous Skype version?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5955
Message 7 of 7 (3,419 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling