Go to "Contacts" and scroll down to their name. Highlight the contact and hit the delete (backspace) key on your keyboard.
Wow! Flames everywhere.
Might I put it this way? Someone would like all data relating to a previous contact totally and thoroughly deleted - fingerprints and all.
Just like it was before this person requested and I allowed them to be on my contact list.
I don't want to block them, I don't want them even on my blocked list.
I want Skype to be as it was before I put this person on my list.
Key point that has been missed in previous posts is - I do not want Skype to recognise them at all, no need to block them, just as if they had never been on my contact list in the first place.
If ever they want to come on my list again, they have to ask nicely the same as any other prospective new contact.
Being in control of my Skype contact list, I might not accept their new request (or re-request) and there will not be a need to block them because my Skype will never have heard of them because all record of them is totally gone, not on my blocked list either.
You don't have to block people that have never been on your contact list in the first place, so what is so difficult to work out a way to clean the slate properly?
Re: how to permanently delete a contact from skype and from options,privacy,deleted contacts list?
not sure if these would help, but there's no harm in trying;
1. If you wish a user to be deleted in your contact list, just use the remove contact/s option most convenient to you. Removing a contact from your contact list would be a permanent action, unless you will re-add them.
2. Depending on your privacy settings, non-contacts may be able to call or send you instant messages. If you wish for certain non-contact person/s to be not able to contact you you can either (a) block them (b) set your privacy settings to allow calls and IMs only.
3. Block contacts will appear in your block users list.
The only way to remove them is to unblock them (as clearly explained in the first page). If you want them to be "deleted in your contact list, restrict them from communicating with you, but you don't want them to appear in your blocked users' list", you can "remove them from your contact list using the method of your choice, then set your privacy settings to allow calls and IMs from your contacts only". No blocking required but almost the same or identical effects.
4. However, if you don't block a person, they may be still able to resend contact request. But dealing with such would only require two clicks. Open request then Ignore request.
10-03-2012 06:09 - edited 10-03-2012 06:13
Hi; I think the problem is getting rid of the entry totally.
1. Delete contact (normal way) Contact disappears from contacts list as one would expect.
2. Shut down Skype and restart. (flush temporary data or force reload database?)
3. Navigate : Contacts - Advanced - Manage Blocked Under the (empty) "blocked people" list there is a small drop down box.
4. Click on the drop box You will now find the contact person's email address is there. You will also find when you select that entry, the "Block this person" button activates. (There is also a checkbox for "Report abuse" - leave it alone.)
5. Click on "Block this person" button and the person now appears in the list of blocked people.
I think what users want is to totally wipe these data out of the database, they don't want them blocked nor in the dropdown box mentioned in 4 above.
Disclaimer: I haven't done any testing (like logging from another machine or what would happen if the deleted contact would try to contact me), and so I don't know about any possible side effects or behaviors (because as far as I understand, the contact list must also reside at Skype's servers).
1. Block & delete the contact from the contact list.
2. Download and install SQLite Database Browser:
3. Open the main.db file located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_account\Application Data\Skype\skype_id
4. Open the "Table" dropdown list and select the Contacts table.
5. Locate the record of the contact to be deleted and select the "Delete record" button.
6. Save and close the database.
7. Open the config.xml file (at the same location), search for the contact (under: CentralStorage > SyncSet > u) and delete it. Omitting this step didn't actually seem to change anything, but I just do it to be sure.
Now log into Skype (just be sure you have closed the db!) and voila, the contact has completely disappeared from the contact list, the blocked contact box and from the dropdown list!
Please help by testing this method and doing some feedback
Hey - works a treat!
I downloaded the software SQL Browser, located the record and deleted it.
Saved the main.db file and opened Skype.
No trace of the contact anywhere, clean slate as requested.
Not in blocked list or anywhere else.
Thank you for that excellent suggestion.
The fact that I found the record in main.db under user (Win 7) shows that the data is local.
I will do the same trick on my work computer, which still had the offending entry last time I looked which was after I deleted it on my home computer.
Now the burning question, why can't Skype programmers built a total delete routine?
After all, they create a new record when required, why not delete an unwanted one?
I have one solution to this problem. Firstly you must block those people who you do not want to see on your friends list and then they will appear on your ‘Blocked contacts list’. After some time (this is crucial! Give people time to forget you! ) you can ‘Unblock this person’ who will appear on your ‘Recent’ conversations and than simply right click and ‘Hide conversation’ .
Regards from Kiki
I am not too clever with this stuff, but, if skype can provide us with an easy to find :
"ADD CONTACT" box.
Why is there not , a just as easy to find :
"DELETE CONTACT" box ?
Going by the responses on this thread, it sounds like MAC users have.
So why is it so complicated deleting a contact using windows.
I am using XP.
Do the Skype menus vary between the different windows OS ?
Closing this threa dnow as it got way out of hand.
- To delete a contact on Skype for Windows switch to the "Contacts" tab, right-click on the contact and select "Remove from Contacts"
- To delete a contact on Skype for Mac click on "Contacts" on top left to show your list of contacts. Highlight the contact and hit backspace on your keyboard