how to move skype log

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

how to move skype log

As I know Skype Log files are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile Name]\Application Data\Skype\[Skype User]. In Windows Vista and 2008, the log files are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile Name]\AppData\Roaming\Skype\[Skype User]. 

My question is how to move the log to drive D:, because my drive C is protected by DeepFreeze. every time i  restart my computer the log gone.

Neil
Super Adventurer

Accepted Solution

hendrajun wrote:

As I know Skype Log files are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile Name]\Application Data\Skype\[Skype User]. In Windows Vista and 2008, the log files are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile Name]\AppData\Roaming\Skype\[Skype User]. 

My question is how to move the log to drive D:, because my drive C is protected by DeepFreeze. every time i  restart my computer the log gone.

create a custom desktop shortcut to start Skype that includes the /datapath switch to put your Skype profile data wherever you would like

eg. "C:\Program Files\Skype\" /datapath:"D:\folder_x"

note that it is important to include the quotation marks in the 'target' of the shortcut

View solution in original post
hendrajun
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (6,565 Views)

Re: how to move skype log

hendrajun wrote:

create a custom desktop shortcut to start Skype that includes the /datapath switch to put your Skype profile data wherever you would like

eg. "C:\Program Files\Skype\" /datapath:"D:\folder_x"

note that it is important to include the quotation marks in the 'target' of the shortcut

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 354
Message 2 of 4 (6,493 Views)

I'm attempting this solution and running into a problem.  The shortcut w/ switch appears to work, but I get an error when Skype starts.

"Information

The files that Skype needs to work can't be found.

Please download and reinstall Skype to fix this

problem."

I've attempted the dirty fix of copying the existing folder to the new location but gotten no success.

Astromere
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (5,578 Views)

What exactly do you have written in the Target field of the shortcut which you are now using to start Skype?

You should also see this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Community-feedback/Chat-history-main-db-move-to-another-folder-and-sti...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6033
Message 4 of 4 (5,572 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling