how to keep icon in system tray & close not minimi...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

how to keep icon in system tray & close not minimize to task bar

[ Edited ]

Sigh.  It seems that I have this problem again and again after every few updates.

Problems:

1) I want the skype icon to remain in System Tray (Notification Area); it used to but not since the last update

2) when I close Skype, I want it to actually close and not just minimize to the Task Bar, forcing me to then to right click and quit from there; again it used to until the last update

I don't see the solution in >Tools >Options >Advanced.  To be clear, I'm not looking to keep skype on the taskbar when I'm signed in.

If I go to >Customize for Notification Area Items, I already have "Show icon and notifications" already checked.

Can anybody help?

Windows 7

Skype 6.1.0

This widget could not be displayed.
Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

lanitrenouth,

Please update to latest 6.2 Version then try again.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

View solution in original post
lanitrenouth
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 17 (6,229 Views)

Re: how to keep icon in system tray & close not minimize to task bar

lanitrenouth,

Please update to latest 6.2 Version then try again.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6233
Message 2 of 17 (6,212 Views)

Thanks Tamim, it worked!

Strange that the update I did a few days ago caused the problem and then the update I just did now solved it.  I wish that all your settings would be remembered always after updating.

lanitrenouth
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 17 (6,205 Views)

You are very welcome – and thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6233
Message 4 of 17 (6,203 Views)

Hi all

I'm having this same problem (SKYPE minimizing to the task bar, but not to the system tray where the clock is shown.   I've seen a number of solutions to this, but I still can't seem to get it to work.   The one I describe below seems to me to be logical / best chance.

My system tray doesn't have the caret / up arrow that will give me the option of designating which icons I want in that tray.    I am able, through the Control Panel, to find a setting for "notification area icons" which purports to let me decide which icons I want to hide or not ... however Skype is not shown in the list.   The path to this setting is Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Notification Area Icons.   I can select "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar", but I'm still not seeing Skype minimized to the tray.

SKYPE Version 6.3.0.105
Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1
Doing a check for update via Skype Help pulldown states that "You already have the latest version of Skype installed"

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ... Phil Z

PZale
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 17 (5,633 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6337
Message 6 of 17 (5,623 Views)

Have not seen that before but I think I'll give it a shot.
On the other hand I'm always hesitant to download stuff that'll affect the registry; I suppose I should back it up before starting (duh) ... but ... how trustworthy do you think that site is?

Thanks

PZale
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 17 (5,621 Views)

I found the way to make it work. Yes, it means "Close", but Skype knows that after a minor tweak in the menu. First of all click on Tools, then Options, then go to Advanced. At that point, you uncheck "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in". And, miracle!, it does know the meaning of Close vs. Minimize.

I hope i made a lot of people happy!

IonicaSRL
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 17 (5,373 Views)

I just update Skype to 6.35.0.158, running on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, and since the upgrade I can NOT (but I want to) click on "X" and cause Skype NOT to close but actually goes into the System Tray (NOT to the task bar), so I can continue getting calls without "seeing" Skype tab in the task bar.

The Skype.exe is NOT running in the COmpatibility mode!

Stated option (Tools-Options-Advanced-Advanced Settings) is  (that check box does NOT show up (see screen shot)

Capture.JPG

I want SKype back in teh system tay, what do I do?

MiroslavK
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 17 (5,159 Views)

You can’t see this checkbox because it is only available on Windows 7/8 computers. It is not available on XP/Vista.

The Skype icon is most likely still in the hidden icons.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6337
Message 10 of 17 (5,152 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling