help i cant send messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

help i cant send messages

Hi, i've been having problems with skype for the last week or more, I can receive messages but not send them either by hitting enter or by clicking send. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but it reinstalls and autologs in and the problem still occurs. I'm stuck!

randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 42 (3,726 Views)

Re: help i cant send messages

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released August 02, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.113 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 2 of 42 (3,517 Views)

I was previously running that version, now i'm running 5.3.0.116 to see if that makes a difference. It doesn't. Going back to the 5.5 version now.
randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 42 (3,515 Views)

Now running the latest version and still cannot send instant messages.
randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 42 (3,514 Views)

Please send me a message using the name here.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 42 (3,512 Views)

Have sent you emoticons as thats all I can send. I can't send text so I cant answer your question. I'm sending the message as you asked me to.
randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 42 (3,510 Views)

randyindieandy wrote:
Have sent you emoticons as thats all I can send. I can't send text so I cant answer your question. I'm sending the message as you asked me to.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 42 (3,508 Views)

Am using windows vista and as far as i know its up to date.
randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 42 (3,504 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, did you follow the instructions in my prior post, and if so is there any difference?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 42 (3,503 Views)

Have done the steps you suggested. Didn't get asked if i wanted to save history. Have reinstalled and still cannot send messages.
randyindieandy
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 42 (3,502 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling