error code 2738

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

error code 2738

I'm trying to install skype, but get error code 2738 come up.  skype gets installed to the point where I can register skype name and pass word and get on, but I am unable to add contacts.  Page comes up with only background

YvonneHamilton
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 27 (10,203 Views)

Re: error code 2738

Which Windows and which Skype version are you running?
Any more information the error window is saying?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13466
Message 2 of 27 (10,119 Views)

YvonneHamilton wrote:

I'm trying to install skype, but get error code 2738 come up.  skype gets installed to the point where I can register skype name and pass word and get on, but I am unable to add contacts.  Page comes up with only background

Please go here and once there, click on the "Fixit" Icon/Button: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

Then please do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then please install over what you have from here, when prompted please click the run or open button: http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 3 of 27 (10,117 Views)

i have the same exact problem.. i exhausted every possiblity and still no progress or improvement.. This very frustrating....Can u please give a solution to fix error 2738...or make some moderations to this software. so this problem doesn't occur again

mzbabygirl01
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 27 (9,997 Views)

mzbabygirl01 wrote:

i have the same exact problem.. i exhausted every possiblity and still no progress or improvement.. This very frustrating....Can u please give a solution to fix error 2738...or make some moderations to this software. so this problem doesn't occur again

Please go here and click "Run" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 27 (9,990 Views)

Hi there,

I'm getting error code 2738 each time I try to re-download (after uninstalling) Skype and then when I try to log in I get the index of file: ///C deal that so many people are getting.

I've tried unistalling and reinstalling about 4 times, restarting my computer... Crossing my fingers. Downloaded several versions of the Microsoft FixIt. Nothing changes.

ANY idea what's going on? Is there something flukey in the latest versions that I should NEVER have downloaded?

My best friend just moved to Honduras - this is terrible timing. Maybe time to switch to Google video?

Thanks so much!

MeadowAnn
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 27 (9,926 Views)

[ Edited ]

MeadowAnn wrote:

Hi there,

I'm getting error code 2738 each time I try to re-download (after uninstalling) Skype and then when I try to log in I get the index of file: ///C deal that so many people are getting.

I've tried unistalling and reinstalling about 4 times, restarting my computer... Crossing my fingers. Downloaded several versions of the Microsoft FixIt. Nothing changes.

ANY idea what's going on? Is there something flukey in the latest versions that I should NEVER have downloaded?

My best friend just moved to Honduras - this is terrible timing. Maybe time to switch to Google video?

Thanks so much!

Have you tried this?

Please go here and once there, click on the "Fixit" Icon/Button: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

NOTE: If the Fixit fails, please try doing it manually via the instructions supplied on the page above, using an elevated command prompt window.

Then please do this:

Reboot.

Then please install over what you have from here, when prompted please click the run or open button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 27 (9,917 Views)

ive tried all the fixit buttons command promts and nothing some one help

wendyjuarez88
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 27 (9,755 Views)

Switch to Oovoo.
christmanj87
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 27 (9,270 Views)

Hi, I am running into the same issue. Did you ever get a response as to how to fix this? I appreciate any followup.
adammilano5
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 27 (8,970 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling