cant make or receive video calls

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

cant make or receive video calls

Hi to anyone that can help me. I am having problems making video calls.

I only installed skype last week and answered my first video call that day with no problems.

Now when I try to make a call, a message comes up saying 'problem with play back device'. 

It also says there is 'no answer' even when trying the online echo/sound test service.

When someone try's to call me they get a message back saying 'your contact can only 

receive IMS'I have uninstalled skype and reinstalled the latest version of skype but the problem is still their. I have a dell laptop with windows vista, if that helps solve my problem.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alex330
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (640 Views)

Re: cant make or receive video calls

What do you see for Speakers settings when you go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings?

When you click on the green button next to these settings, can you hear any sound?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6521
Message 2 of 6 (494 Views)

Re: can't make or receive video calls

Hi ruwin, thanks for the reply. The audio settings are as follows;

microphone-microphone/line in(IDT high definition audio

volume-no volume

ticked box-(automatically adjust microphone settings)

speakers-speakers/headphones(IDT high definition audio

volume-set high

ticked box-(automatically adjust microphone settings)

ringing-ring on all devices

there was no sound when I tried the green button.

Any ideas?

Alex330
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (479 Views)

Re: can't make or receive video calls

Do you have the same settings in Windows Sound Control panel?

Is your headset working with other Windows programs?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 6 (468 Views)

Hi I have the same problem, it was working fine then as of yesterday i keep getting the message problem with playback :sad: iv uninstalled and reinstalled and I still have the same problem. Help anyone.

eveinspain1
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (77 Views)

eveinspain1 wrote:

Hi I have the same problem, it was working fine then as of yesterday i keep getting the message problem with playback :sad: iv uninstalled and reinstalled and I still have the same problem. Help anyone.

What device do you see selected as your Speakers in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings? Is there more than one option available in the selection box? Can you hear any sound when you press the test button next to this box?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 6 (76 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling