cannot update skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

cannot update skype

hello i have this problem. Im trying to install the new skype 5.3 but my skype verison is 5.1 and when i install it, there is a message that the older sype version cannot be uninstall (skype.msi) missing, how to solve this? thanks before

Primemover
Power User

Accepted Solution

suggestion;

•  Download and install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
  •  Run the utility and remove "Skype Plugin Manager"
  • Delete Skype\Plugin Manager folder manually. It is usually under folder C:\Program Files\Skype
  • Install either the current version or beta version of Skype
View solution in original post
raymutia
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (1,824 Views)

Re: cannot update skype

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 571
Message 2 of 15 (1,820 Views)

when i installing the beta version, still there is a message "the older version of skype cannot be removed". i use windows 7 32bit. my windows is always updated

raymutia
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (1,811 Views)

suggestion;

•  Download and install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
  • Delete Skype\Plugin Manager folder manually. It is usually under folder C:\Program Files\Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1282
Message 4 of 15 (1,809 Views)

Primemover wrote:

suggestion;

Please be aware that the Windows Installer CleanUp Untility is no longer supported by Microsoft and using a copy of it especially on WIN7 System can cause grave consequences because if has not been updated to Handle WIN7.

The link above also states this and there is no longer a link there.

That said, there is another 3rd party utility that can do this, and it has a 30 day free trial, please note you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

revouninstaller.com

Also, in this case, having already tried helping people using a forced uninstall, andmany times, that won't fix this issue.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 15 (1,797 Views)

[ Edited ]
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 15 (1,793 Views)

[ Edited ]

okay, forget the suggestion I posted, just listen to TheUberOverLord, he's the God here.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1282
Message 7 of 15 (1,790 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not God, however these are quotes from Microsoft on this subject:

"The Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) that was previously referred to in this article resolved some installation problems but sometimes caused issues with other programs or components that are installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center. "

"Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is discontinued by Microsoft (support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 )

For the cleanup purpose, you can use Revo Uninstaller which does its work really well."

Please use the browser window of your choice to copy/paste any of the links below:

support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/does-a-windows-7-installer-cleanup-utility-exist/63241995-74de-4472-afaa-36ef7a6bb4d0

NOTE: Also, there was no link to the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" in your link ("Please Check") because on that page, the link has been removed.

So, this is why I suggested the same uninstall utility, that can be used, that Microsoft suggests to use as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 15 (1,781 Views)

I have a similar problem in upgrading Skype. I am currently successfully running Skype V4.2.0.155 on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit laptop. I am able to download and install the latest version of Skype. The installation process seems to complete without any error messages and places an icon on my desktop and in the system tray (showing Skype is not connected). However when I hover my mouse on the System tray icon to attempt a sign in, it disappears! Skype also will not start from the new desktop icon. I have attempted to install the current version over the old version and also a clean install of both the current and beta versions with the same result.

Presently the only way I can get Skype to work is to revert back to version 4.2.0.155

All system,hardware drivers and updates are current.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cenwag
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (1,739 Views)

Try to do this:

Right click on Skype’s desktop icon, select Properties and Compatibility tab. Make sure that the option “Run this program in compatibility mode for” is not selected.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5038
Message 10 of 15 (1,736 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling