Your computer speed is very slow

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Your computer speed is very slow

Please help I've been searching for hours and can't find a decent explanation!

I just bought a new Samsung netbook with a 1.33 GHz atom processor and 1GB RAM.  I installed Skype and noticed that it was saying my computer speed was too slow to make calls, a ran a diagnostic and that too suggested that the RAM was low, so I've upgraded to the maximum the notebook (and windows 7 starter) will allow, 2GB. 

However, Skype still says this is too slow, diagnostic now say that everything is fine, and looking on the help screen that comes with this message it recommends a 1 GHz processor and 512 RAM, both of which I am exceeding, but the settings always show red and say my computer is too slow.

I don't have any other programs running (except Norton 360 and that isn't using much memory) and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of Skype and am currently on 5.7 beta.

I assume the message is nonsense as I have actually made a video call and it was ok, but the message is annoying me, why can't Skype accept my notebook is good enough?

robsadler
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (6,673 Views)

Re: Your computer speed is very slow

[ Edited ]

Try This.

Here is a Mr. FixIT:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Run This First. See if it resolves the issue. If not,

Temporary disable the anti-virus & Do all Windows Updates, including Software and Hardware, not just the Critical Updates. In most cases, this will resloves the issue.

still stuck?

Download and Install all the Device Drivers, and any additional software, directly from Samsung website.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6484
Message 2 of 8 (6,566 Views)

Also Try Below:

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Delete folder "Skype".

4. Re-run Skype

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 3 of 8 (6,545 Views)

Hi thank you for the response.

I have tried all of your suggestions and unfortunately none of them fix the issue.   

robsadler
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (6,517 Views)

Try this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/skype-5-5-and-5-7-beta-both-hang-on-sign-in-with-40-to-50-cpu/...

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 8 (6,502 Views)

Help  I cannot make video calls as  skype tells me my computer is slow , when it starts up the bars that tell you the quality are green but then they turn yellow and tell me my computer is slow, please help 

yogadancer1
Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (6,348 Views)

I got the same message and could no longer make calls. After tying everything, still no luck. I forgot that I added majic jack. When I disconnected majicjack, skype is working well again.
rvezich
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (4,395 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a known conflict issue with Magic Jack and Skype. You can try to reset Skype to use the Magic Jack sound driver.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 8 (4,392 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling