Windows tech problems when opening Skype.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Windows tech problems when opening Skype.

Windows says Skype needs to update, so I went to the website that Windows told me to go to. Downloaded Skype and still got problems. So I uninstalled it and tried to do it again. I'm still getting the problems with it opening. I hope someone can help me.

Akuame
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (991 Views)

Re: Windows tech problems when opening Skype.

I am having the exact same problem. I've done exactly the same thing, uninstalled and reinstalled but still can not get past the login screen.

What's up? Anyone going to fix this anytime soon, because, that would be kind of nice.

Teknogirl80
Casual Tourist
Message 2 of 17 (915 Views)

Same problem encountered and same troubleshooting techniques.  I guess I'll try back tomorrow????

greg1
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 17 (887 Views)

What exactly happens when you are trying to start Skype?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6429
Message 4 of 17 (876 Views)

i also am having problems on my toshiba windows 7. i have uninstalled and reinstalled, and the problem is that skype shows up, I can log on, but there is no welcome screen with skype advertisements, then if I try to click on other tabs, like "account," for instance, to change my password, for instance, instead of icons, all I get are black boxes with red Xs in them, to show that the pictures/icons are not loading. I can't always make calls. Please let me know what I can do. I've updated, uninstalled, reinstalled. My account works on other computers, but I'd like skype to function on mine.

naomijolson
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 17 (865 Views)

to give more details: when I log in, the skype home box is perfectly blank. I can see my own profile details, that page loads normally. but I can't buy more skype credit ---the page loads as the account page loads, and all I see is black boxes and words with red Xs that I can't click on.

naomijolson
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 17 (863 Views)

I have an older windows program , computer. Skype would not acknowledge my password. Finally I redownloaded and opened up a new account and imported all my contacts. I do not get the regular opening screen and..it call me automatically and says answer or ignore. Very annoying. 

janice1951
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 17 (851 Views)

We have 3 comps here and the only one that can open is the one on XP. The two others run on Vista.

using the 3.8 works, but without cam.

Hehe, what is going on now?

kurtgoddyn
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 17 (843 Views)

naomijolson wrote:

to give more details: when I log in, the skype home box is perfectly blank. I can see my own profile details, that page loads normally. but I can't buy more skype credit ---the page loads as the account page loads, and all I see is black boxes and words with red Xs that I can't click on.

What version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer?

Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

What do you see when open this link in your Internet Explorer?

https://apps.skype.com/home/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6429
Message 9 of 17 (842 Views)

Hmm... I don't use internet explorer, and had it hidden from my desktop and all the menus. But after you mentioned IE I pinned it to my taskbar, and opened up the link you sent. I saw the homepage, like it should be, and then opened my skype account, and that's fixed as well. So maybe people who have hidden or somehow deactivated IE should pin it to a taskbar. It seems to have fixed the problem for me!
Naomi 

naomijolson
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 17 (833 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling