Why doesn't Skype 5.3 show my IM window when I get...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Why doesn't Skype 5.3 show my IM window when I get a call (previous version did)?

Just upgraded to version 5.3 and wishing I hadn't :smileysad:

Amongst its annoying "features" is the fact that when someone calls me, instead of showing the IM window like it used to do, I get a full screen of a dark blue background with the other person's logo in the middle. If I want to use IM (when is about 90% of the time), I have to click the IM button at the bottom, and even then, I still can't get rid of that bit with the dark blue background and the logo.

Why can't it just show the IM like it used to? Can I get rid of this bit with the dark blue background?

MrYossu
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (2,801 Views)

Re: Why doesn't Skype 5.3 show my IM window when I get a call (previous version did)?

As far as I know, what you are describing should only be possible if someone calls you by making Skype-to Skype connection but without video. Sending only text IMs does not open any window with participant’s logo.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7072
Message 2 of 5 (2,791 Views)

Re: Why doesn't Skype 5.3 show my IM window when I get a call (previous version did)?

Sorry, should have ben more clear. I meant when someone calls me like that. We chat voice to voice, but we use the IM window all the time.

In the previous version I had, when I clicked the button to answer a call, or when I made a call, the IM window was shown and used the full height of the Skype window. In the new version, it isn't shown by default, and even when I click the little button to show it, it doesn't use the full height of the window, as that bit with the dark blue background wastes the top section of the window.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I can get back tothe way it worked before?

MrYossu
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (2,780 Views)

I solved the problem!!!

I downloaded an old version of Skype, that doesn't have this stupuid annoying feature.

If you want to do the same, search this forum for "download old version" and look at the single result that produces, which is to a post entitled "Any Chance Skype Will Return to Searches by Age, Genger, Language, City, State and Country?" Follow the link in that post (this forum won't let me post a direct link), and you will be able to get an old version that works, without this annoying feature.

It's interesting to note that if you go to their home page, and look at the most popular old apps, this version of Skype is #1! It seems that people are moving back to the old version in their droves. I wonder if Skype will bother noting this, or just ignore it like they've ignored the voice of the community so far?

MrYossu
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (2,777 Views)

With the newer versions of the Skype client for Windows there is a Chat Icon when you answer a Skype to Skype call, click on it and the IM Window will appear.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 5 of 5 (2,771 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling