Why does this lag so MUCH?!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Why does this lag so MUCH?!

[ Edited ]

I use this daily because  my fiance is away visiting family. He's going to be there for a few months.  But the few days we have been using this I want to unintstall it and find another one. Sometimes he'll send me a message, and I don't get it till 10 minutes later!! It's really rather annoying. And it's not like he has the message hasn't been delivered, it says on his side that it has been sent, but I don't get it till later. And this has been happening constantly! We are both online, not using anything else but Firefox for browsing. WHY is this happening? It's not like we have a bad storm or something to interfere with the connection and what's really weird is we were just sending messages back and forth just fine the minute before hand.

If this continues, I'm uninstalling this. Is this a hassle and really stresses me out.

Please tell me there is something to be fixed that will prevent this from happening.

(If I'm in the wrong spot, I'm sorry, I don't use the forums and they are confusing.)

MysticTemptress
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 4 (3,523 Views)

Re: Why does this lag so MUCH?!

Does this issue occurs to only with one contact?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6509
Message 2 of 4 (3,518 Views)

I wouldn't be too quick to put the blame on your connection speed.

Does the program lag when you aren't calling?

If the program lags without calling anyone, then it could be a matter of client-side lag.

This occurs when either your Processor or RAM/vRAM is overused by other processes while you are using Skype.

I use Skype quite often, and I notice that Skype is quite resource demanding for Windows Vista.

My processor (or CPU) is a single-core, and sometimes Skype can use all of my CPU power just to operate.

If you are experiencing client-side lag, I would recommend these 3 methods...

1.) You may have too many programs running alongside Skype, to close out of these programs press CTRL + ALT + Delete
When the screen changes, select the choice Task Manager and then go to the processes tab, and remove some unused processes. (Firefox is very CPU demanding as well)

If you want to open up Task Manager without using any keyboard shortcuts, just right-click on your taskbar and select the Task Manager choice from the menu.

2.) You may have to change some settings inside of the Skype program, this can be useful to remove useless emoticon animations and themes.

To find the options menu go to Tools > Options...

You should now be in the General tab in General Settings, from there you can change the visual style to Classic Windows (It's not as aesthetically pleasing, but it lessens the work on your graphics card)

Now find the Notifications tab, and go to the Notification Settings.

You can mess around with these settings, and they won't hurt your program, but I would recommend that you would untick all of these except for "Starts an IM with me"

Now find the Alerts & messages tab, and untick both boxes.

Now find the IM & SMS tab, and go to the IM Appearance tab

Untick the "Show Animated Emoticons" box

Apply all of these settings by clicking the Apply button, and then close out of Skype and then reopen Skype.

These settings are great for those with bad/outdated graphics cards.

3.) Upgrade your Hardware to run Skype smoothly.
This will need a lot of money (Depending on what you buy) and this could take some frustration, I don't have an in-depth tutorial on this, because all hardware parts are unique and requires certain motherboards to install.

If you are installing a new CPU or a new Graphics Card, then you must purchase a brand new motherboard (Or a new computer)

If you aren't experiencing client-side lag, then it could be his connection and not your connection. Skype requires all connections to be working properly to send/retrieve files and share screens and share faces through webcams.

Some people's connection speed can't handle Skype's demand, although I've never seen a connection speed unable to handle 2 people in a chat.

kchoman2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (3,514 Views)

MysticTemptress wrote:

I use this daily because  my fiance is away visiting family. He's going to be there for a few months.  But the few days we have been using this I want to unintstall it and find another one. Sometimes he'll send me a message, and I don't get it till 10 minutes later!! It's really rather annoying. And it's not like he has the message hasn't been delivered, it says on his side that it has been sent, but I don't get it till later. And this has been happening constantly! We are both online, not using anything else but Firefox for browsing. WHY is this happening? It's not like we have a bad storm or something to interfere with the connection and what's really weird is we were just sending messages back and forth just fine the minute before hand.

If this continues, I'm uninstalling this. Is this a hassle and really stresses me out.

Please tell me there is something to be fixed that will prevent this from happening.

(If I'm in the wrong spot, I'm sorry, I don't use the forums and they are confusing.)

You had a similar issue about 5 months ago. Was the problem resolved then?

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-lagging-messages-not-going-through/m-p/607403

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7056
Message 4 of 4 (3,499 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling