What has happened?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: What has happened?

copy and pasting

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" legacy/login

Steve_H
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 21 of 35 (783 Views)

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" legacy/login  is wrong

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin  should be correct.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6385
Message 22 of 35 (776 Views)

Thanks ruwim, it now works. Much appreciated.

Steve_H
Routine Adventurer
Message 23 of 35 (764 Views)

Sorry, I'm an idiot: exactly where do I type in this corrected exe line to make my skype page open, other than a blue box w/ clouds? Why do I even need IE, when I can directly click on Skype icon to open?

Why has Skype gone crazy, and made it maddening to use?

Why hasn't this been corrected by Skype? 

davemanystreets
Casual Adventurer
Message 24 of 35 (741 Views)

Quoting from above. I have bolded in red the appropriate bit.

You can apply the following “work-around”, but be aware that some other Skype options may still not work. In particular, you may not be able to use the “Add a contact” function.

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes.

Open this folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\

You should see there the Skype application file (Skype.exe).  Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"

Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut. Can you now login to Skype?

Steve_H
Routine Adventurer
Message 25 of 35 (728 Views)

Hi ruwin

Please can you help, I can no longer login into Skype, it just says Skype can't connect

I am using windows home vista premium, a 32 bit operating system and internet explorer 8

thanks Shane

shane-Kinsella
Novel Tourist
Message 26 of 35 (703 Views)

Shane, it might pay you to set this up as a new post. This one is registered as solved.

Steve_H
Routine Adventurer
Message 27 of 35 (695 Views)

davemanystreets wrote:

Sorry, I'm an idiot: exactly where do I type in this corrected exe line to make my skype page open, other than a blue box w/ clouds? Why do I even need IE, when I can directly click on Skype icon to open?

Why has Skype gone crazy, and made it maddening to use?

Why hasn't this been corrected by Skype? 

You may like it or not but Skype is using Internet Explorer.

Start your own new thread and provide this information.

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6385
Message 28 of 35 (695 Views)

Thanks for the non-answer, but explain to me how, specifically and exactly, one *uses* Internet Explorer to open Skype?

I need to open Internet Explorer...then what? I can't just use the Skype icon to open?  How do I get to Skype sign in page from Internet Explorer, and make it open?

You don't seem to be getting it: I can open Skype page, and sign in successfully, says "Hello" shows my name...but there is no tab or button to go to use the video or messaging, and when I  try to just use Skype icon to sign in, it takes me to the dreaded blue box with clouds...and three tabs taking me here.

HOW do I use I.E. to OPEN Skype? 

davemanystreets
Casual Adventurer
Message 29 of 35 (677 Views)

Well, I do not see the solution, so you can label it "solved" but it is not. I am using I.E. 9, and Windows 7 on a one week old Dell...and the Skype loaded on it wouldn't open. I did every "solution" listed here, and still Skype takes me to the blue box to nowhere.

That is far from solved. 

davemanystreets
Casual Adventurer
Message 30 of 35 (675 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling