Webcam not launching in Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Webcam not launching in Skype

I have just got a Samsung Series 7 laptop.  I have Cyberlink Youcam3 loaded and can see myself and my daughter in NZ, but the webcam is not launching so she can see me.

Skype has the option of either Cyberlink Webcam Splitter or Webcam SD-13HDL 1143 IN but if I pick the second one I get a warning the video cannot start, close any other programme.  Skype defaults to the Splitter one.

However if I look in the Webcam settings its showing the SD ....  as the capture device.

So something is not quite setup correctly and my daughter, who also has a Samsung, had the same issue but cannot remember what the fix was.

Can you please let me know so I can resolve the issue asap.

Thanks

Annie Forsyth

annie112
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (3,066 Views)

Re: Webcam not launching in Skype

I'd suggest uninstalling Youcam3 via Control Panel.   You don't really need it to do a video call on Skype and uninstalling it may allow Skype to recognize your webcam.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 7 (3,057 Views)

Beta Version of Skype

Hi, I am trying to resolve the issue between my brand new Samsung Series 7 Laptop and Skype.  I have Youcam which works perfectly well on a fairly new HP (which is having to go back to factory!!).  Suggestion is to uninstall Youcam and cant see why that would fix the problem.  I see/hear me, my daughter in NZ can hear me but no picture.

Trawling through other posts I can see often the suggestion is to download the Beta version of Skpye.  Now I am of the older generation, and thought using a Beta version (still in test) is more of a danger than using a non-Beta version.  So would like to know why you keep suggesting people use the Beta versions.

Any help other help to sort my video out would be good.

Thanks

Annie

annie112
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (3,041 Views)

Re: Beta Version of Skype

I assure you I am also of the generation that is wary of beta versions.  However, Skype beta 5.7 has been very solid for nearly two months.  I haven't seen a single complaint about it.  In my mind it's really beta in name only and I don't understand why it hasn't gone gold yet.

Having said that, if you try the beta and don't like it, simply reinstall your previous version.  It's unlikely the beta will break anything, but especially not anything that can't be corrected by reverting to the previous version.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 4 of 7 (3,026 Views)

g4pilut wrote:

I assure you I am also of the generation that is wary of beta versions.  However, Skype beta 5.7 has been very solid for nearly two months.  I haven't seen a single complaint about it.  In my mind it's really beta in name only and I don't understand why it hasn't gone gold yet.

I second the motion.  Eversince I used Skype, I always find their beta version at almost ready to be released state.  And more often than not, common and known issues existing in previous versions are often fixed when Skype release a newer version (both new beta and official versions).  

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 238
Message 5 of 7 (3,021 Views)

Thanks all for the replies and may now consider a Beta version.  :happy:

annie112
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (2,992 Views)

Re: Webcam not launching in Skype

try SplitCam instead Youcam, more functional program and has no problems with skype. At the official website there's newest free to download version. splitcamera.com

Karpov
Experienced Voyager
Message 7 of 7 (976 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling