Webcam not detected after restart skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Webcam not detected after restart skype

Hey,

I am using skype for a while and a few days ago skype couldnt find my webcam.

I checked that webcam was still working etc and it was every other program could find it and acces it no problem.

My webcam is a PS3Eye which has worked without a problem for the past few months with skype.

However I updated aswell these last few weeks to skype 5.5.0.119.

Now I can fix the problem for one time by deleting the skype folder in the appdata folder on my PC.

However this makes me reset my settings everytime I reload skype, which isn't ideal.

Anyone know a way to force skype to find my webcam on every restart like it does on the first load?

Thnx in advance.

Painfull
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,361 Views)

Re: Webcam not detected after restart skype

Okay, after an complete reinstall of my computer (not only for skype purposes) the problem still excists.

Anyone know of an solution?

Painfull
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 6 (2,158 Views)

Painfull wrote:

Okay, after an complete reinstall of my computer (not only for skype purposes) the problem still excists.

Anyone know of an solution?

Please see these:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Video-Issues-Checks/td-p/156710

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 3 of 6 (2,146 Views)

Thanks for the reply,

It's not an hardware problem as it finds the camera fine on the first boot.

If I delete the User map in %appdata% (on Win7) it finds it without any problems.

However if I don't delete it and start it up a second time the webcam according to skype isn't plugged in.

Everything is up-to-date and no error's were found in de Event Viewer.

Painfull
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 6 (2,141 Views)

This problem still excitst as I have yet to find a solution for this.

Painfull
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (2,098 Views)

I had the same problem with my camera. After a lot of searching it would appear that the latest version (v6) of skype does not work with older PC. There is apparently a special version of skype that resolves this problem. To reach it though is a bit off hit and miss. Try the following:

- Click on a contact who is online. Then click on Video Call. This will bring a new window explaining that the latest version of skype does not work on video calling with older PCs. There is a link there to download the special version of skype. Download it and reinstall your skypel.

It worked for me. Try it.

Good luck.

marios4639
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 6 (1,205 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling