Webcam/mic not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Webcam/mic not working

I am a newbie who wants to start using skype regularly but cannot get the sound test to work. The incoming part of the message is fine but i cannot reply to it.

I use Vista in a Toshiba laptop (Satellite) that does not have a built-in microphone or webcam, so have bought a cheapy that is advertised specifically for Vista (From Sellervision at under £5.00). It comes with a USB connection and a mini jack plug for the mic socket. Both are plugged in but Control Panel / Sound shows only the Realtek speakers and no listing of the microphone. The Webcam is shown under Imaging Devices in Device Manager.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pat Downey

PatDee
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (12,482 Views)

Re: Webcam/mic not working

[ Edited ]

you seem to have an odd webcam there if I understand correctly

you're saying that the webcam is USB-based, but the mic that is part of the webcam plugs in separately into the analog microphone jack???

if that is the case, then to configure the device correctly for Skype Audio settings in Options, you would need to ensure that Skype is using the built-in soundcard that came with the laptop (Realtek from the sound of things) for microphone device

on the other hand, maybe you should identify the exact make/model webcam that you are using

personally I would recommend something more along the lines of one of these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 281
Message 2 of 12 (12,466 Views)

Hello Neil,

30 minutes ago I had a reply ready to send saying that I'd tried everything without success. Just before I sent it I had another go and voila! there we are - it worked.

Yes, the USB and mini jackplug are both plugged in and working.

Many thanks for your trouble, it's much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Pat

PatDee
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (12,445 Views)

would you mind identifying the exact make/model of your headset?
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (12,423 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1956
Message 5 of 12 (11,838 Views)

PatDee wrote:

I am a newbie who wants to start using skype regularly but cannot get the sound test to work. The incoming part of the message is fine but i cannot reply to it.

I use Vista in a Toshiba laptop (Satellite) that does not have a built-in microphone or webcam, so have bought a cheapy that is advertised specifically for Vista (From Sellervision at under £5.00). It comes with a USB connection and a mini jack plug for the mic socket. Both are plugged in but Control Panel / Sound shows only the Realtek speakers and no listing of the microphone. The Webcam is shown under Imaging Devices in Device Manager.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pat Downey

farookshabana
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (11,506 Views)

[ Edited ]

farookshabana wrote:

PatDee wrote:

The above post does NOT identify the exact make/model of the webcam, if that is what you are trying to say

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (11,482 Views)

Webcam/mic not working
farookshabana
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (11,466 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1956
Message 9 of 12 (10,452 Views)

Hi Neil,

Perhaps you could help me out! 

I also have a toshiba satellite, but mine does have its own build-in webcam. I purchased another webcam, because I wasn't satisfied by the build-in stuff. It is a Trust16428, the sound is great and so is the image, but the video won't work with Skype!

What should I do? I have already tried it via 'settings' and choosing the new one over the build-in one, but I don't get any image.

Hope you or anyone can help me out, thanks!

Marije

marije
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 12 (10,110 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling