Waaiiyy!! I Can't Upgrade, Install or Log In After...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Waaiiyy!! I Can't Upgrade, Install or Log In After Trying to Upgrade to 5.5...

I have a strange tale to tell! I just hope someone here will be able to help me...

OK, long story short, I put off upgrading Skype for quite a while. I finally admitted I'd better upgrade. They were up to 5.5 by then.

And I should say, I thought I was going to upgrade. Because Skype has not worked on my computer since. This was early last week. Ever since then, Skype has gone nutso kuku bananas.

When I try to log on, forget about logging on. Instead, it brings up a browser window pointing to one of my hard drives with links to some of the Skype files. It says and "index.html", "languages", and "static" are clickable links.:

Index of file:///C:/ProgramData/Skype/Apps/login/

Up to higher level directory

Name Size Last Modified

index.html4 KB9/26/20119:43:10 AM
languages 10/11/201110:59:56 AM
static 10/11/201110:59:53 AM

And this also happens (a browser window opens when I try to log on to Skype) whenever I just try to tick the boxes ("sign me in when Skype starts" & "start skype when computer starts") in the Skype login window.

I told you. It's all totally weird! I'm tripping. And I have no idea whatsoever what to do to get Skype working on my computer again!

BTW, I use firefox. I have a 5 year old Dell inspriron running Vista Home Premium.

Pretty please, won't somebody help me?! :sad:

Please use plain text.
reilady
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (6,093 Views)

Re: Waaiiyy!! I Can't Upgrade, Install or Log In After Trying to Upgrade to 5.5...

You are not alone with this issue, and please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. See this:

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/i-get-this-when-i-login-file-C-ProgramData-Skype-Apps-login/td-p/105790

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6399
Message 2 of 8 (5,963 Views)

Re: Waaiiyy!! I Can't Upgrade, Install or Log In After Trying to Upgrade to 5.5...

hey ruwim. I love you. Will you marry me? Although, wait. Maybe I should ask you after I try the fix(es). I'll be back...

And yes, I am no using Internet Explorer.

reilady

Please use plain text.
reilady
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (5,956 Views)

Even if you fix your problem, I will not marry you. Sorry, I’m already married.:tongue:

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 8 (5,954 Views)

Woo-hoo! Yippee doodlee-danglelee-doo! Eureka! Problem solved! :bigsmile:

OK, fine ruwim! I suppose my husband wouldn't like that very much either. :wink:

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help!

reilady

Please use plain text.
reilady
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (5,942 Views)

help me. It will not let me log in. It keeps telling me that I am already logged in and running another instance of skype. I close out. I quit skype. I search all my icons and find no skype. I search all my processes. i can find no skype i try it again.   It keeps telling me that I am already logged in and running another instance of skype. I close out. I quit skype. I search all my icons and find no skype. I search all my processes. i can find no skype . I uninstalled skype. I shut down computer. I download new skype. I signed up for new account.  It will not let me log in. It keeps telling me that I am already logged in and running another instance of skype. I close out. I quit skype. I search all my icons and find no skype. I search all my processes. i can find no skype i try it again.   It keeps telling me that I am already logged in and running another instance of skype.

I uninstalled another time. I checked all processes. I tried signing up for skype through facebook. I still can not login?????

Please use plain text.
badland
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (4,018 Views)

badland wrote:

help me. It will not let me log in. It keeps telling me that I am already logged in and running another instance of skype.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 8 (4,005 Views)

if you ever figure this out let me know

Please use plain text.
ekarukin
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (358 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling