Video not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Video not working

Hello,

My video isnt working apparently. I can see my friends, however, they cant see me. I have checked webcam, and it is working fine. How can I correct this? I have a very old computer, and I am not very computer literate! Please help! Thanks

coffeemama501
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (370 Views)

Re: Video not working

What version of Window are you running, including Service Pack?

What version number of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the version number.

What type webcam are you using?

How have you "checked webcam?"   If you click on Tools > Options > Video Settings, do you see your webcam in the Select webcam box?  Do you see your own video there?

When you're on a video call, do you see your own video in your picture-in-picture?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 2 of 8 (361 Views)

I am having the same problem and the video camera in a chat has an X through it but it will not allow me to allow video. When I check video settings, I can see myself and it appears that everything is working fine. However, when I skype, I can only see them and they cannot see me, nor can I see the picture-in-picture. I have a new version of Skype (no updates), new Windows, new webcam...  Please help!

espolisa
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (356 Views)

What version number of Skype?  The actual version number?  Click on Help > About Skype to get it.

What type webcam?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 8 (353 Views)

Thank you for responding..dont understand what a service pack is...My webcam is a logitech, and it is new and it works..tested it through Skype. I can see my daughter when I Skype her, she can hear me, but, not see me. My picture in the lower right hand corner is frozen on my end,however, she cant see me at all. When I tested my camera through Skype, I could see myself fine and it wasnt frozen...Maybe its the service pack thing. I am computer illiterate, so that doesnt help problems..My computer is old and just had the memory upgraded to 2 GB. Is that the problem? Do I need more gigs? Thanks for your help...

coffeemama501
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (340 Views)

More gigs of memory probably won't help.

If you right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop it should pop up a System Properties window.  Your Windows version and Service Pack should be listed there.  (A Service Pack is a major upgrade that Microsoft has releaed for a version of Windows.)

What model Logitech webcam do you have?

What version of Skype are you running.  The exact version number please, which you can get by clicking on Help > About Skype?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 8 (337 Views)

Running Windows XP..if you could explain how I can get the service pack..that may be my problem...Thanks

coffeemama501
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (335 Views)

Does the System Properties window show no service pack at all?

servicepack.jpg

And once again, what model Logitech webcam are you using?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 8 (325 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling