Video freeze up

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Video freeze up

Need help with my video calling. I have noticed in the  past 3 weeks that when I make a video call after about 15 - 20 minutes my video freezes up.  I can still hear the other person and sometimes their image skips around, however mine is frozen and often so is the rest of skype.  I can't shut down or turn off skype?  I usually need to reboot and try again.   I have made a few adjustments to my computer to see if this will correct the issue but it didn't. I have spoken with others about this during video calls and they are experiencing the same.  Any help is appreciated.

dcb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (6,112 Views)

Re: Video freeze up

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.   If it's not already 5.8.0.154, the latest version at the moment you should update as the first step in trying to fix your problem.

The full installer can be downloaded via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 12 (6,109 Views)

OK, I now have the latest version of skype. The first day it worked like a charm.  Now I'm starting to experience the same issues??  Not all of the time but it does still happen.

Could it be that whom ever I'm doing video skype with needs the latest version also?  I don't know what to think about this.  Thank you for the advice.

dcb
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (6,092 Views)

It's a good idea for all parties to be running the latest version of Skype.  However, if Skype is freezing that problem is likely at your end.

When Skype isn't shut down properly, but using the Quit function, it can leave some corrupt files behind.  You might try resetting Skype's configuration:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

If the problem persists, what version of Windows are you running?

Look in Event Viewer > Admininstrative view after Skype freezes.    If there's an error reported with the time stamp of when Skype froze, copy and paste that error here.  It may shed some light on what's causing the problem.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (6,080 Views)

My outgoing video freezes up. When I restart skype it says video not available and to turn off any other progams using webcam. I do't have any other program that uses webcam. I updated skype using installation link above. Will see if that solves problem.

ronnieray
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (6,060 Views)

If you still get the other-program-using-your webcam error after updating to the new version of Skype, see this post for help:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/How-to-Find-Program-That-Has-Cam-Opened/td-p/482745

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 12 (6,056 Views)

I did have video freeze up yesterday but this time error message said my internet speed not fast enough. I have 6MBps broadband which is fast enough, per message. I did go to discussion you suggested and found a program that has video cam opened. I unchecked program on startup tab of msconfig. Hopefully problem of video freeze up solved.

Thanks

ronnieray
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (6,038 Views)

My video is still freezing up. Error message is "Can't start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam". I've run Process Explorer as suggested in chat subject "How to Find Program That Has Cam Opened" and apparently no program open. Do I have to go to a 12 MBps internet connection to get Skype video calls to work properly?

ronnieray
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (5,996 Views)

No, if you're really getting 6 mp/s, that's fast enough.  Of course, upstream speed matters to.

What results do you get if you run a test at www.speedtest.net ?   Download, upload, and ping?

But anyway, bandwidth has nothing to do with that can't start video error.

Something is still conflicting with Skype using your webcam.  You may have to close processes one-by-one, trying Skype Tools > Options > Video settings after you close end process, to identify where the conflict is.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 12 (5,994 Views)

I don't understand this - Look in Event Viewer > Admininstrative view after Skype freezes. Where so I find this??

I'm still having issues after I've been on a video call 15-20 or longer.  I am running Windows XP.

dcb
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (5,960 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling