Video Problems - Other side can't see me.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Video Problems - Other side can't see me.

I was just on a group video.  I checked my video tools before the call.  I saw myself on the video perfectly.  When I was on the call the other side could only see my photo, not my video.  The video control on the bottom was grayed out with an X over it?  What is my problem.  I have been using Skype for more than 3 years.  This has happened only for the first time a week ago.

DaveHutchinson
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (5,885 Views)

Re: Video Problems - Other side can't see me.

I have the same problem, but this is first time using Skype.  I can see callers - they can't see me.

teresafrog
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 15 (5,876 Views)

I am having the same problem also.  I can see others, but they cannot see me.  And, I keep getting a message that Skype can't find my webcam.  How do I fit that?  Have used Skype for several years, and never had that problem

davidtatge
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 15 (5,872 Views)

same here. 1st time user. Checked my video settings and they say everything's good. I can see them, but they cant see me-

chris_h50
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 15 (5,817 Views)

[ Edited ]

teresafrog, davidatge, chris_h50.  The problem the original poster here is having is related to Group Video and a specific issue where he webcam won't start.  You do not have the same problem.

Start a new thread of your own providing as many details at you can, what version of Skype; what version of Windows, what webcam, etc.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1389
Message 5 of 15 (5,809 Views)

DaveHutchinson wrote:

I was just on a group video.  I checked my video tools before the call.  I saw myself on the video perfectly.  When I was on the call the other side could only see my photo, not my video.  The video control on the bottom was grayed out with an X over it?  What is my problem.  I have been using Skype for more than 3 years.  This has happened only for the first time a week ago.

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 15 (5,808 Views)

I am having the same problem as are my sisters. Who ever initiated the call can see the others but those who answered will not be able to see everyone in the group. My sisters and I have purchased the Skype Premium and have not been able to Skype seeing each other, only audio. We have checked our web cams, updated Skype to the latest version and made sure our connections are at the highest strength. We have followed your advice and still have not succeeded in getting a group video. What should we do? This is very frustrating. 

dean99
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (5,802 Views)

The only thing that comes to mind is when you say you've updated to the latest version, make sure it's so.  The only way to do that is to click on Help > About Skype and see the specific version showing.  The current version as of today is v5.8.0.158.

If anyone finds they don't have that version, they can update via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

(This may sound like uncessary advice but I'd like to have a dollar for every time someone has assured they have "the latest version" when they didn't.)

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 15 (5,794 Views)

I guess I just saved myself a dollar.  I have the most updated version. 5.8.0.158 as do my sisters. I had set them up to ensure that we all were using the correct version. I've checked our call quality to ensure that our connections are good. It seems that when one of us calls the other only 2 out of the 4 will see all callers, while the other 2 will only see one. We have all taken turns in being the initiator of the call and we have all had the same results. We chose Skype so we could group call and this problem is dissapointing too us. We are close and Skyping once or twice a week is a pleasure because we get to see each other. I hope there is a cure.......thanks dean99

dean99
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 15 (5,787 Views)

Sounds like you've pretty down everything that can be done....except for one thing I'm not clear about. You've each tried starting/hosting the call, but are you starting the call with all participants at once? Or is the host starting a one-to-one call and then adding the others? Starting the call with the entire group at once will sometimes correct the problem you're seeing.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 15 (5,782 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling