Using a headset with a webcam that has audio and a...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Using a headset with a webcam that has audio and a built-in mic

Hello:

I have the Logitech C910 webcam. It includes audio and a built-in mic. In other words, all you need is the webcam to conduct a video call. My problem is twofold. First, I don't want people in the room to hear what the person on the other end is saying. Thus, I need a headset. Two, sometimes I want to talk in the headset's mic so that I can talk more softly and still have the person on the other end hear me.

Obviously, I need a headset with a mic. But how do I use such a headset in conjunction with my webcam. That is, how do I stop the sound that comes from the webcam's speakers from coming out of the same? I want the sound to come through the headset only. Likewise, how do I stop the sound from entering into the webcam's mic.

AS for the webcam's mic, I think I can use the Logitech software to mute the mic. Assuming this works, I still see no way of stopping the sound from coming through the webcam's speakers.

Thank you for your assistance.

hellopuppy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (1,759 Views)

Re: Using a headset with a webcam that has audio and a built-in mic

The C910 does have a mic (two actually) but it doesn't have any speakers.

To get Skype to use your headset mic instead of the 910's, in Skype click on Tools > Options > Audio settings.  Click on the down arrow next to the Microphone window.  Do you see your headset mic showing there?  If so, select it and click the Save button.

For incoming sound, if plugging in your headset doesn't mute your speakers, on that same Audio settings page click on the pull down for Speakers and look for a setting related to your headset.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 2 of 3 (1,653 Views)

Re: Using a headset with a webcam that has audio and a built-in mic

Thanks. I thought it had audio. I stand corrected. I will follow these instructions soon.
hellopuppy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (1,649 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling