Using 2 channels as stereo microphone.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Using 2 channels as stereo microphone.

Hi, I'm looking for some help with getting two microphones to work as one in Skype. I saw a similar post but mine is a bit more unique to the circumstances so I thought I would post here.

I have a USB Audio interface with two line-in inputs, using one for a microphone and the other for a guitar. I can only get skype to recognise the signal from the first input of the interface. I think this is more a problem with Skype than the interface as my DAW's (recording software) picks up both when I have a stereo audio channel or two mono channels.

So to put this into more of a question: Can you think of any way I could get skype to allow both inputs to work simultaneously?

If you need any specific details about the interface or anything please ask.

Thank you in advance!

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

seangreenwolf wrote:
Thank you! I've downloaded it now and it definitely looks like it can do the job, I'm just trying to figure out how to actually set all of it up. Sadly there are no real instructions of how to do such a thing.

You are very welcome.

Yes, because when using dual audio input, that depends on your Windows mixer settings and/or any custom audio software you may have, since Skype will only look for 1 single audio source.

View solution in original post
seangreenwolf
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (6,076 Views)

Re: Using 2 channels as stereo microphone.

[ Edited ]

seangreenwolf wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for some help with getting two microphones to work as one in Skype. I saw a similar post but mine is a bit more unique to the circumstances so I thought I would post here.

I have a USB Audio interface with two line-in inputs, using one for a microphone and the other for a guitar. I can only get skype to recognise the signal from the first input of the interface. I think this is more a problem with Skype than the interface as my DAW's (recording software) picks up both when I have a stereo audio channel or two mono channels.

So to put this into more of a question: Can you think of any way I could get skype to allow both inputs to work simultaneously?

If you need any specific details about the interface or anything please ask.

Thank you in advance!

You will need to use your Windows Audio Mixer, if this can be done, Skype can only have one input/output Audio source, but your Windows Mixer, maybe able to mix more than one source with your default audio devices.

If that can't be done, you might need special software, like what's known as "Audio Cables" which really is all software, but allows you to feed multiple audio source into 1 audio device.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 575
Message 2 of 7 (5,919 Views)

Thank you! I've downloaded it now and it definitely looks like it can do the job, I'm just trying to figure out how to actually set all of it up. Sadly there are no real instructions of how to do such a thing.
seangreenwolf
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (5,913 Views)

[ Edited ]

seangreenwolf wrote:

You are very welcome.

Yes, because when using dual audio input, that depends on your Windows mixer settings and/or any custom audio software you may have, since Skype will only look for 1 single audio source.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 7 (5,912 Views)

I've got it working to an extent now, there's a bit of latency but nothing crazy.

I just wanted to thank you again, I must have spent over 6 frustrating hours and you've saved me from so many more.
seangreenwolf
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (5,908 Views)

seangreenwolf wrote:
I've got it working to an extent now, there's a bit of latency but nothing crazy.

I just wanted to thank you again, I must have spent over 6 frustrating hours and you've saved me from so many more.

You are very welcome, glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 7 (5,906 Views)

STEREO MIC SKYPE IF ANYONE LOOKING TO USE 2 inputs for SKYPE to make lesson on guitar or bass over internet with one mic on first input and bassguitar on second here is afew tips. 1. u need that program virtual audio cable(vac) 2. once installed(please buy full) open two audio repeater(mme) 3. set Both of their I/O as follows...... Waves In to Line in of your audio interface[mine is forcusrite 2i2, so it is Line In(Scarlett 2i2 usb) THEN output to LINE1(Virtual Audio cable) 4. Set first one "Channel config" to Custom, "Channels" to only 1. THEN select channel 'FL' only 5. set second one 'channel config' to custom, 'channels' to 2, then select 'FR' and 'FC' then get in skype, select your mic, to line1 of virtual audio cable, KABOOM DONE!
hondaa
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (2,766 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling