Update Skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Update Skype?

Hello,

I'm running Skype v5.5.0.114 and it's saying there is an update however when i try to update the window just sits at "Initializing.." I've tried the following;

* Run as administrator (my user is administrator)
* Restarting my PC, Router
* Cancel & tried it again.
* Ended Skype.exe via windows task manager and re-opened and tried again.
* Tried Disabling AVG firewall and such.

However none of theses work and when i try and download it from the Skype website it says i'm about to install an older version ect.. ect.. 

The only reason i wish to update is for the latest bug fixes and the sign me in auto fix (which i believe is resolved in the new release so i think i saw on here)

Any help?

Thank You,

Jordan.

Warm Regards,
Jordan.
JordanTBH
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 24 (60,181 Views)

Re: Update Skype?

try the full installer for version 5.5.0.115 instead.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full 

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1638
Message 2 of 24 (60,042 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, would this do a fresh install or just upgrade still? As i can't remmeber if i customised any settings before as i've had Skype for some time this is my first issue/problem.

Thanks.

Warm Regards,
Jordan.
JordanTBH
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 24 (60,039 Views)

thanks. i had the same problem, i simply downloaded the full installation file and launched it, without uninstalling the 5.5.0.114 version before.
vaina
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 24 (59,848 Views)

Hello , I seem to be facing a similar problem - my current version of skype is 5.3, i would like to update to 5.5 for Windows XP.

I have been downloading the update file from skype homepage numerous times and what i always end up with is 'a problem connecting to the download server'.

Again I have tried deactivating the antivirus programme , opening the firewall , downloading & initiating as administrator. Nothing works so far.

I saw your advice here to download the full installer version - and this is what i have just done.

Unfortunately the installation only initiates and is interrupted & ends for no reason.
I am hoping that I can have your professional advice soon.

bultraf
Reliable Tourist
Message 5 of 24 (59,832 Views)

please try the links and suggesions mentioned here;

Alternative Download Links (for Windows and Mac)

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1638
Message 6 of 24 (59,829 Views)

bultraf wrote:

Hello , I seem to be facing a similar problem - my current version of skype is 5.3, i would like to update to 5.5 for Windows XP.

I have been downloading the update file from skype homepage numerous times and what i always end up with is 'a problem connecting to the download server'.

Again I have tried deactivating the antivirus programme , opening the firewall , downloading & initiating as administrator. Nothing works so far.

I saw your advice here to download the full installer version - and this is what i have just done.

Unfortunately the installation only initiates and is interrupted & ends for no reason.
I am hoping that I can have your professional advice soon.

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released September 1, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.115 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 7 of 24 (59,800 Views)

thanks for the help. Had similar problem,.
loos252
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 24 (59,481 Views)

loos252 wrote:
thanks for the help. Had similar problem,.

You are very welcome, glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 9 of 24 (59,478 Views)

Update Skype?

ok I have tried everything I have read and still can't upgrade.Everytime I do it say the older version of skype 5.5 cannot be removed ...error 1603.Please Please help me :sad:

vickiem8
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 24 (59,196 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling