Re: Unterminated Tag: Font. error message after up...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Unterminated Tag: Font. error message after upgrading to 5.9 from 5.8

After I updated Skype from 5.8 to 5.9, I get an error message "Unterminated Tag: Font" when I boot up Skype.  This is very annoying, is there any ways to fix it?

Claudius
Community Manager

Accepted Solution

Try disabling promotions and tips in Skype options -> Notifications -> Alerts & Messages
View solution in original post
deetseng
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 25 (10,584 Views)

Re: Unterminated Tag: Font. error message after upgrading to 5.9 from 5.8

same here. And I got this on a new fresh install on Window 7 64-bit Chinese edition. The exact message was "Unterminated tag: font." (note the space and punctuation)
The version of skype is 5.9.0.114. And I just installed Skype and nothing else on this brand new laptop
billhungdotnet
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 25 (10,536 Views)

Re: URGENT Uppgreading code 160

Hej, when I Re startar  computer, I get a message that iupgrade to Skype, efter a minute coms ,Skype Version 5.8 can not be done please contact support. Code 160 . Please help me. I use Skype quite a lot.

B.R

Passargad interaktiv Teknologi AB

M.Javani  MD

mjavani
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 25 (10,522 Views)

deetseng wrote:

After I updated Skype from 5.8 to 5.9, I get an error message "Unterminated Tag: Font" when I boot up Skype.  This is very annoying, is there any ways to fix it?

Try to clear the Temporary Internet Files folder. Sometimes an outdated script file (.js) is still residing in the cache and this is causing the error.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-problem-bugs/m-p/609079#M50121

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5771
Message 4 of 25 (10,489 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Try to clear the Temporary Internet Files folder. Sometimes an outdated script file (.js) is still residing in the cache and this is causing the error.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-problem-bugs/m-p/609079#M50121

Thanks ruwim, I just tried it following the link you posted. Unfortunately this did not help. And again, my problem occured with a fresh windows install and fresh skype install. I didn't install anything else.

billhungdotnet
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 25 (10,479 Views)

Are you using Chinese or English Skype user interface language?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 25 (10,455 Views)

I tried both, and the problem only seemed to happen with Chinese, but not English. I tested by simply going to Tools -> Change Language -> then select English or 繁體中文(Chinese Traditional)

billhungdotnet
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 25 (10,440 Views)

Searching on the history of Skype versions shows that a “Unterminated Tag” error was occurring with some language settings on older Skype versions, but this was supposed to be fixed in later releases. Just an example:

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-2091?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-...

However, I was trying to reproduce this on my Skype 5.9 (Windows 7 32 bit and 64-bit), but no problems here.

Maybe you should try to reset Skype settings and see if this helps.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 25 (10,421 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Maybe you should try to reset Skype settings and see if this helps.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

Thanks for this again. I just tried it, and I got the same "Unterminated tag:font." error at this page of the welcome wizard (see attached, the step to set the profile picture). I think there's some code in the profile picture part is broken. You should be able to reproduce it with a Chinese version of Windows 7, or perhaps try changing your localisation? My laptop was bought today with Windows 7 Home Edition(家用進階版)+Service Pack 1

billhungdotnet
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 25 (10,415 Views)

No. I can’t reproduce this behaviour, but this doesn’t matter.

What happens if you close the error message window? Can you so use your Skype?

In any case, it will probably be best if you report this bug to Skype developers (Jira).

http://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/ReportIssue

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 25 (10,403 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling