Unknown Skype icon in taskbar

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Unknown Skype icon in taskbar

I am running a Netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition.  Since the recent Skype update (5.3) the Skype icon in the taskbar (to the right of the Start button) has changed to an 'unknown icon' and does not show the Skype icon.  I have followed some advice to attempt to fix this such as recreate the icons cache but to no avail.  Although this is purely a cosmetic request it would be good to get the original icon back again.

I look forward to your responses.

Kind Regards

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

View solution in original post
goodfella2071
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (2,693 Views)

Re: Unknown Skype icon in taskbar

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 10 (2,691 Views)

I have now booted my netbook this morning. I downloaded 'yet another' Windows update yesterday but didn't boot it immediately. However, after booting this morning it looks like the problem has been fixed in that the icon has now properly appeared. Many thanks for your response.
goodfella2071
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (2,685 Views)

You are very welcome, Glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 4 of 10 (2,681 Views)

After trying all the fixes, with no luck, this worked: Right click Skype icon on desktop and chose Pin to Taskbar. Icon replaced unknown icon.

sdinco
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (2,613 Views)

I've tried all the above options with no luck... Skype doesn't give me the option to pin to taskbar, compatibility mode is off, I'm using the beta right now because the stable version kept crashing on me, so I can't really switch back... Any other thoughts?

dgriffiths1227
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (2,330 Views)

yep.. pin and then remove pin works for me also, but lets see if it stays there :happy:

Rasmusch
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (2,214 Views)

I'm having the same issue... installing beta worked last time, but it just forced me to install stable, and there's no beta! What else can I try?

dgriffiths1227
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (2,134 Views)

[ Edited ]

Pin to Taskbar and then unpin...this is the only thing that worked for me. So right now I have again the skype icon :happy: Let's see for how long...

aldracurau
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (1,613 Views)

Update: unfortunately it seems this is fixing the problem only during the current session of staying logged in to windows; if I restart the computer and start Skype again, the beautiful "unknown" skype icon appears in taskbar withou any shame.

So, no stable fix until now...

aldracurau
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,595 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling