Unable to share screen

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Unable to share screen

[ Edited ]

There is no share screen icon in the latest version.  You share your screen by click on the + on the toolbar at the bottom of the Skype window and then the Share Screens menu item.

sharescreens.jpg

If the Share screens menu item is greyed out there can be two reasons.  One, as ruwim mentioned earlied in this thread, you can't have your webcam video running and share your screen unless you have a Premium subscription.

The second thing that will prevent screen sharing is if the contact you're on a call with is Invisible (offline to you).  

Turn off your webcam before trying to share your screen, and if the contact you're on the call with is Invisible, have them change their status to Online.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 11 of 17 (1,878 Views)

I tried clicking on the + icon and it is still greyed out.

gr8phil
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 17 (1,871 Views)

Thank you - what I have learned is that for screen sharing to work

1. All have to be on latest version of Skype

2. Both people have to have their Skype online status set to "Online" (Why????)

3. If more than two on the call you have to have Skype Premium

Just tested that and found the missing link for me was setting Skype status from "invisible" to "online" - suddenly the screen share was no longer greyed out.

MishCoach
Novel Tourist
Message 13 of 17 (1,870 Views)

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

To answer your question why, I think it was a bug/oversite on Skype's part.  If so, it will hopefully be corrected in a future version.  The thing with Skype is you can never be sure if a bug like that was by design or not until the next version comes out.

We'll have to wait and see.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 861
Message 14 of 17 (1,866 Views)

I retired my old laptop and have new laptop. I used to have screen share on my skype, but new computer does not show that option on my screen. Further, I purcased the upgrade again yesterday and still do not show that function on my computer.

jwilliamsinpipe
Casual Tourist
Message 15 of 17 (1,607 Views)

jwilliamsinpipe wrote:

I retired my old laptop and have new laptop. I used to have screen share on my skype, but new computer does not show that option on my screen. Further, I purcased the upgrade again yesterday and still do not show that function on my computer.

Do you see this option when you press the “+” button on the call toolbar?

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Unable-to-share-screen/m-p/586629#M48723

What version of Skype program do you have now installed on your computer? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6844
Message 16 of 17 (1,603 Views)

i can't share screen even i upgraded to premium version

when i try to share my screen ,the spin streeming symbol spins constantly without any result.

i updated the latest version 5.9.

can anyone help me ?

gogot
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 17 (1,504 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling