Re: Unable to share screen

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Unable to share screen

Unable to share screen.  When I click on share screen, a message popup indicates that it is a premium service.  It appears that the share screen link thinks I'm trying to place a group video call.  Exactly the same result is happening on a friends skype.  I updated to the newest version but same result.  Any thoughts or help is appreciated...Steve

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

What you are seeing is the result of the new feature introduced with Skype 5.7 version. Since this version it’s now possible to share screen simultaneously with video. However, Skype “forgot” to inform the users that this new feature is only available with Premium account. Screen sharing is still available without Premium, but in this case you need manually switch your video off before starting screen sharing. Actually you can also start “normal” screen sharing by pressing the button “Continue with a free call” on the appearing pop-up window (very, very confusing).

ScreenShareWithVideo.jpg

View solution in original post
slaam
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (7,880 Views)

What you are seeing is the result of the new feature introduced with Skype 5.7 version. Since this version it’s now possible to share screen simultaneously with video. However, Skype “forgot” to inform the users that this new feature is only available with Premium account. Screen sharing is still available without Premium, but in this case you need manually switch your video off before starting screen sharing. Actually you can also start “normal” screen sharing by pressing the button “Continue with a free call” on the appearing pop-up window (very, very confusing).

ScreenShareWithVideo.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5819
Message 2 of 17 (7,714 Views)

Following advice I bought premium skype and still was unable to share the screen with more then 1 user. Both my users had updated skype version but only one was able to see the screen and it was for very short time. The icon for sharing (2 overlaping rectanguras) would switch off as soon as I went into the mode of presentation in power point. It sort of missed the point if i cannot share ppt presentation. My 1 month subscription to Premium ends in 5 days in all 4 sesisons I was not able to share effectively screen with more then 1 viewer and it was only for a short time.

Bummer..... I wish i could call someone to discuss it but there is no way I can talk to human about it which for me a bummer too.... :sad:

leemajewski
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 17 (7,689 Views)

Are you sure that you actually have the latest Skype version (5.8.0.158 )? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype. The same about your contacts.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 17 (7,684 Views)

Yes - i am very sure. It's 5.6.0.143 .... who can I talk about it live so that I can solve the problem and parhaps either get credit or buy more as I need another 2 weeks of the WORKING screen share...?

leemajewski
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 17 (7,677 Views)

leemajewski wrote:

Yes - i am very sure. It's 5.6.0.143 .... who can I talk about it live so that I can solve the problem and parhaps either get credit or buy more as I need another 2 weeks of the WORKING screen share...?

If you have Skype for Mac, then you might have a better chance to get some help if you post on Mac forum. This is Windows forum.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/bd-p/Mac

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 17 (7,673 Views)

thanks.....will go there..... would you know how can I SPEAK with someone from Skype?

leemajewski
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 17 (7,669 Views)

I have a similiar problem. When my friend shares his screen with me it shows up fragmented. This is what it looks like. I can't seem to fix this.Skypebug.PNG

Bradmiller5297
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 17 (7,653 Views)

Do you have nVidia graphic card?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 17 (7,612 Views)

I am using 5.8.0.158 and unable to share screen w/ anyone. The shar screen icon is greyed out. I am not a preimnim using, just someone trying to video call my friends and family. Looked all over support w/o finding a reasonible answer to why share screen can't work in SKYPE.

pgpatzik
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 17 (7,437 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling