Unable to install

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Unable to install

I received an email from the Messenger Team advising they are discontinuing Messenger Service and I need to download Skype. On my old computer I did belong to Skype and when I bought a new computer the files were transferred, so Skype showed on this new one, though I have not used it for a long time. When I tried to download the new Skype, it would not download because an older version was detected. I went to my Control Panel and tried to remove Skype through Windows 7 Programs and Features. It would not uninstall and advised me to contact my administrator. Well, I am my own administrator... I deleted Skype 4.2 manually and went into the registry and removed all "Skype" entries. Skype no longer shows in Program and Features, but when I tried to download Skype again today, it wouldn't install because it said I have an older incompatible version installed. Could anyone suggest how I could correct this problem? Thank you for your consideration. - Mitch

mitch7bond
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (1,816 Views)

Re: Unable to install

Try the installer via this link to see if it works for you:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 845
Message 2 of 10 (1,792 Views)

Try removing the Skype program entries using Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (msicuu2.exe), perform all the steps with Admin rights...(Run as administrator)
msicuu2.exe Download Link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=67FA7F4ED75C5D95!46621

Now try installing latest Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

You can also Add another administrator account and try login in with this account and then run the Full installer with ADMIN rights.

Right click the "SkypeSetupFull.exe" and select "Run as administrator"

Then, log off and switch back to your normal user account.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6086
Message 3 of 10 (1,778 Views)

Thank you for your kind response. I tried your suggestion. I get the same messages, as when I try to install from the full version:

First Error Message

The older version of Skype 6.1 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

Second Error Message

Installing Skype failed: code 1603 A fatal error occurred during installation.

Mitch

mitch7bond
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (1,763 Views)

You can also try Portable Version of Skype
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 10 (1,759 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion. I installed the Windows Installer Clean Up and ran it as administrator. It brought up all installed products, but Skype is not listed there. Any addtional suggestions to help me on this site would be most welcomed. Thank you to everyone. - Mitch

mitch7bond
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (1,754 Views)

Have you already tried Portable version?

You can also Add another administrator account and try login in with this account and then run the Full installer with ADMIN rights.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Right click the "SkypeSetupFull.exe" and select "Run as administrator"

Then, log off and switch back to your normal user account.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 10 (1,748 Views)

Thank you very much for your advice! The portable version downloaded and installed without a problem! Very good! Thank you, again and again! - Mitch :bigsmile:

mitch7bond
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,742 Views)

You're welcome.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 10 (1,738 Views)

nothing works

darrellkarjala
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (969 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling