Unable to install skype 5.5

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Unable to install skype 5.5

Hey guys,

Desperately need some help. I have problems installing Skype 5.5.

I downloaded the skype setup file from their website and tried to install. The installation progressed well, but towards the end of the installation i received an error "We are unable to connect to the download server".

I agreed to the solution given to download the full version and this downloaded successfully. But when i tried to install the full version, i receive the same error.

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

enock_makworo wrote:

Hi,

I still get the same error, "We are having problems connecting to the download server".

Please use this to install 5.5.0.117: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.5.0.117.msi

NOTE: You may need to uninstall first before going to a newer/older msi version for Skype, so in your case, it maybe best to save this file as well. To install/uninstall using this file, simply right click on the file name and choose Install or Uninstall.

View solution in original post
enock_makworo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 37 (3,406 Views)

Re: Unable to install skype 5.5

enock_makworo wrote:

Hey guys,

Desperately need some help. I have problems installing Skype 5.5.

I downloaded the skype setup file from their website and tried to install. The installation progressed well, but towards the end of the installation i received an error "We are unable to connect to the download server".

I agreed to the solution given to download the full version and this downloaded successfully. But when i tried to install the full version, i receive the same error.

Please try downloading/installing from here, when prompted, please choose run or open: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 587
Message 2 of 37 (3,245 Views)

I down loaded as described and the error message comes up...Skype encountered a problem and has to close. any more suggestions. It does that with all versions of Skype on my computer sense I got it back from the shop.
Thanks
Eddie
earlyt766
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 37 (3,238 Views)

earlyt766 wrote:
I down loaded as described and the error message comes up...Skype encountered a problem and has to close. any more suggestions. It does that with all versions of Skype on my computer sense I got it back from the shop.
Thanks
Eddie

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 37 (3,231 Views)

Thanks for the information.

But i still receive the same error.

The setup file SkypeSetup.exe downloads fine. When i execute this file, the installation begins to download again and it is during this stage that i receive the error.

Can i have access to the full setup file that will not require any downloads? I downloaded the SkypeSetupFull.exe file (23MB), but when i run it i receive the same error.

enock_makworo
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 37 (3,220 Views)

enock_makworo wrote:

Thanks for the information.

But i still receive the same error.

The setup file SkypeSetup.exe downloads fine. When i execute this file, the installation begins to download again and it is during this stage that i receive the error.

Can i have access to the full setup file that will not require any downloads? I downloaded the SkypeSetupFull.exe file (23MB), but when i run it i receive the same error.

Please try downloading/installing from here and choose the run or open option when prompted: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

If this fails, please delete your browser cache, cookies and temp files and try again.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 37 (3,204 Views)

Hi,

I still get the same error, "We are having problems connecting to the download server".

enock_makworo
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 37 (3,185 Views)

[ Edited ]

enock_makworo wrote:

Hi,

Please use this to install 5.5.0.117: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.5.0.117.msi

NOTE: You may need to uninstall first before going to a newer/older msi version for Skype, so in your case, it maybe best to save this file as well. To install/uninstall using this file, simply right click on the file name and choose Install or Uninstall.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 37 (3,183 Views)

Hi,

Thanks alot for the solution. It worked perfectly.

The msi file installed with no problems.

Really greatful.:(y):

enock_makworo
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 37 (3,138 Views)

enock_makworo wrote:

Hi,

Thanks alot for the solution. It worked perfectly.

The msi file installed with no problems.

Really greatful.:(y):

You are very welcome, glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 37 (3,135 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling