Unable to install Skype - Insufficient Privileges ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Unable to install Skype - Insufficient Privileges even as Administrator

I finally decided to give in to Skype's nagging and upgrade my version to the latest.  I think I had been running 5.5 before.  It didn't work and now I am unable to install or use Skype at all.

When I tried to upgrade, I received an error which I am copying here from the Windows 7 Event Viewer:

Product: Skype™ 5.10 -- Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

Things I have done or tried to the best of my knowledge and ability are:

I am logged in as the Administrator.

My installation of Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit) has only one account, mine.

I have full access permissions to the directory in question.

My computer is virus free as determined via "AVG Free" as well as "TrendMicro HouseCall".

All available windows updates have been applied.

I have rebooted.

Skype has been uninstalled.

I deleted C:\ProgramData\Skype

I removed temp files from C:\Users\<LoginName>\AppData\Roaming\skype

I have attempted to install Skype via the generic "SkypeSetup.exe" from http://www.skype.com/

I have attempted to install from stand alone 'full' versions of Skype from OldVersion.com 5.5.0.124_SkypeSetup.exe as well as 5.10.0.114_SkypeSetupFull_6_.exe

So far I am stumped and feeling frusterated.

Azazial
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (7,937 Views)

Re: Unable to install Skype - Insufficient Privileges even as Administrator

You still have problems with Permission properties on the Programs folder. System and Administrators group is missing.

Open this folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

You should see there the Skype application file (Skype.exe). Double click on this file. What happens then?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6943
Message 2 of 6 (7,913 Views)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\ does not exist on my computer because Skype is not installed.

I was able to resolve my issue by installing Skype 5.3.0.120 at the reccomendation of a friend.  It, too, produced an error just like 5.5 and 5.10 did but instead of canceling the entire install process it merely informed me of the error and completed as normal.  I would uninstall it to test if 5.10 works now (I suspect it would install) but I'd rather not take the chance of everything screwing up again.

Your observation about folder permissions seems to be correct.  Curiously, I did not modify the permissions on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ myself but they now include full permissions for "Administrators" as well (but not "SYSTEM").  I wonder if perhaps Skype 5.3 did it some how and what caused them to be removed in the first place.

Azazial
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (7,897 Views)

Same problem here.
The skype program folder is locked and cannot be deleted by admin or any user level. The installed failed and I cannot re-install.
I'm using Window 7.
blymicom
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 6 (7,436 Views)

blymicom wrote:
Same problem here.
The skype program folder is locked and cannot be deleted by admin or any user level. The installed failed and I cannot re-install.
I'm using Window 7.

try this.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-won-t-install-quot-insufficient-privileges-quot/m-p/1005...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6462
Message 5 of 6 (7,429 Views)

I think it might be a bit of shame for Microsoft, that they didn't prompt user with administrator login popup, when loging from non-administrator account on WindowsXP. Many other IT companies having far less resources and budgets patched theirs software with this feature.

On Skype, we are getting more and more upgrades related to advertisement, but not sth people need first!

jan1406
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (3,395 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling