UDP 30568 - Source Port Dropping on Firewall

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

UDP 30568 - Source Port Dropping on Firewall

Has anybody else seen UDP port 30568 being dropped on a firewall when a user tries to launch video/audio portion of Skype?  Everything works fine, but it is filling up my firewall logs.

Eric

Please use plain text.
EW
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (1,186 Views)

Re: UDP 30568 - Source Port Dropping on Firewall

[ Edited ]

his would be a firewall issue that you should address -- it is possible that your firewall is simply logging warning messages rather than logging errors

it's not a problem with Skype itself, but the port that Skype has chosen (editable in Skype Options) was randomly chosen when Skype was initially installed

you can change it to just about anything you like, but if your firewall does not automatically handle connections using that port transparently, you need to configure it to do so in your router setup

you could forward this port to the private IP address of the computer on which you are running Skype

Skype does not expect most users to know how to do this and tries a number of methods to avoid the necessity, but success can vary, depending on the particular firewalls involved

Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 273
Message 2 of 6 (1,168 Views)

I understand what you are referring to, however, the correct firewall ports are allowed.  And yes, my Cisco ASA firewall has it's logging level set to warnings.

The issue is the UDP port 30568 that is being dropped is the source port.  It is as if the remote computers make a good connection to my user's desktop on UDP/30568, but the firewall is dropping the return connection.

Is there a work around since this is filling up my firewall logs?

Please use plain text.
EW
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (1,156 Views)

[ Edited ]

In your case, please make sure in any case that you do step 3.

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please use plain text.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 4 of 6 (1,150 Views)

most routers will try to block all incoming connection attempts (except where specifically allowed) but many don't bother trying to block outgoing connections

if yours has this feature (and it would not surprise me if it does), then you must allow such outgoing connections, likely by port and application -- in other words, the fix is in your router/firewall setup, not Skype

enabling UPnP in the router would help (assuming that it is supported and this will likely be the case), but many consider enabling UPnP to be a security risk in the general case (I happen to be one of the ones that recommends that UPnP be disabled)

having said all this, it still would be bad to do the things suggested by TheOberOverLord
Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 273
Message 5 of 6 (1,142 Views)

I have tried numerous changes, and I am still dropping the return connection on UDP 30568.  I have changed the port (default UDP 3056:cool: in the settings to use port 80 and 443 with no luck.  The firewall is seeing the return packets with the same source port as spoofing.

I have tried different versions of Skype as well as change the default port it listens for connections on.  Have any other network engineers ever seen firewall drops like this before?

Please use plain text.
EW
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 6 (1,120 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling