Transfer History to Another Computer?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Transfer History to Another Computer?

Hello,

I have this very long chat history (of over a year) with someone in my old computer and I would really like to transfer it to my new computer. Is there any way to do that? I tried to copy the chatsync folder but it did nothing...

Thank you very much, it is really important to me

sharkimage
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (23,346 Views)

Re: Transfer History to Another Computer?

All your chat history is saved in one database file, the main.db file. If you want to copy the history from one computer to another, then you can do this like described here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/moving-skype-account-to-new-computer/m-p/730552#M43...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6368
Message 2 of 10 (23,340 Views)

This will replace the whole main.db file. I have a few computers from which I have to transfer the history.

I think I found a solution, I collected all the main.db files from all my computers then exported the Messages table to csv and with excel I merged them all together and then imported the new csv file to the db. I don't know if it works yes because it takes a very long time to import 100MB to the database.

sharkimage
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (23,337 Views)

I’m not sure how this will work with Skype. Using e.g. SQLite Database Browser you can import a csv-file into one of the tables, but I’m afraid that Skype is using more than one table for displaying the chat messages. However, if you will manage to do this, then this will be very useful information for other Skype users.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 10 (23,336 Views)

Did this work for you? I'm looking for a way to merge my logs from my old laptop to my new one, and am at a loss... :[

yumechan91
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (22,916 Views)

Hi! I tried to do that but I gave up during the merging. It took a very long time and used 25% (one core!) of the processor. I was afraid it would harm my computer.

I guess it does work, you just need patience and a well ventilated processor.

sharkimage
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (22,909 Views)

hi i just transferred my skype history following instructions below.  Only hiccup is that if you have fresh chats on the new pc already they will be erased and replaced by the new db.  Check out below

If you want see the whole conversation history on Skype installed on another PC then you must do the following.

Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer. Both the old and the new.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter or the OK button. This will open a window with a Skype folder. Within this folder locate a subfolder with name corresponding to your Skype name. Open this folder. You will find there a file with name main.db. It may have just have a name “main” if your PC is setup to not show extensions for known file types but you will still see description “Data Base File” in the Type column. Copy this main.db file to any removable storage, like e.g. an USB flash drive or CD and transfer it to the corresponding folder on your other PC. You will now be able to see the whole call history from the old Skype installation on the new installation.

Opes
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (22,398 Views)

ruwim wrote:

All your chat history is saved in one database file, the main.db file. If you want to copy the history from one computer to another, then you can do this like described here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/moving-skype-account-to-new-computer/m-p/730552#M43...

This one really solved my problem. Thanks! Of course, I realised after I started using Skype on my new laptop, so some messages were split across the DBs. So, I logged off skype on my new Laptop. Logged in on the old one again. Some messages that were not yet downloaded on the old one showed up (lucky for me that all the people were online!). Once that happened, I signed out of Skype on the old laptop and then did the copy paste of the main.db.

Worked like a charm! But with a lot of luck... so, lucky-charm is more appropriate!

Good luck!

ar-mani
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (14,215 Views)

Hello.

I just bought a new computer, and would like to keep my profile and userid on Skype.

I gather from all the discussions that it's a pretty easy process. Before I go further with the new computer, I'd like to make sure I can use the same Skype name on my new computer; there won't be a conflict, correct?

I'm not as concerned about the database files as others are. Just logging in and using my current login name.

TomFuszard
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 10 (7,199 Views)

You can use the same Skype account on any Skype application for Windows desktop. If your new computer has Windows 8/8.1 OS, then be aware that the native Skype for Windows 8/8.1 requires login with Microsoft account.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12059/what-is-a-microsoft-account

However, even on computers with Windows 8/8.1 you can install the normal desktop version, which will alowe you to sign in with either Skype name or Microsoft account.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 10 (964 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling