This person has not shared their details with you ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

This person has not shared their details with you problem

[ Edited ]

i'm trying to add someone when we add each other we both get this as "This person has not shared their details with you" we both get the greyed out question mark we have skype 5.3 can anyone help with this problem both are fresh installs to

mjcarr321
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (14,828 Views)

Re: This person has not shared their details with you problem

Please right click on the the contact in question, and choose "resend contact request" try to have them do same.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 577
Message 2 of 15 (14,817 Views)

We tried what you had suggested. We tried more than once and the same thing, any other suggestions? 

mjcarr321
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (14,814 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 15 (14,812 Views)

will give that a try and see if that works

mjcarr321
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (14,782 Views)

Same problem here, skype 5.3.0.120 running on a Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP SP3 installed.

One contact I've been trying to exchange contact details unsuccesfully. Very frustrating. They still appear in my contact list with an question mark inside. Have tried resending contact request a few times, have deleted them and readded them, and then resent contact details request. No success. I have asked the other person to do the same, no success.

Really bizarre, especially as today I succesfully received an contact request from someone else, no problem.

I have tried the solution proposed here but no success. And there is no beta currently for windows.

Any suggestions ?

thanks
miss_souc
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (14,507 Views)

[ Edited ]

miss_souc wrote:
Same problem here, skype 5.3.0.120 running on a Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP SP3 installed.

One contact I've been trying to exchange contact details unsuccesfully. Very frustrating. They still appear in my contact list with an question mark inside. Have tried resending contact request a few times, have deleted them and readded them, and then resent contact details request. No success. I have asked the other person to do the same, no success.

Really bizarre, especially as today I succesfully received an contact request from someone else, no problem.

I have tried the solution proposed here but no success. And there is no beta currently for windows.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 15 (14,505 Views)

First of all, thanks for your response. Reallz nice to see that there are people trying to help.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

>> Yes, I have automatic update configured so it should all be updated with the last updates from MS

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

>> It didn't prompt me if I wanted to keep my history. Should I be worried ?

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

>> I am assuming you meant to type in %appdata%\skype in the address bar of windows explorer ? Your instructions not 100% obvious for me (despite being technically litterate)

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

>> what do you mean by if you see a folder for the skype name in question ? and what is the link between the folder name and config.xml ? do I delete the folder, the file or both ? in any case, I didn't find any folder called skype

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

>> no folder found, I assume it was removed during step 1 uninstall through control panel method ?

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

>> I have now done all the steps as close as I could. Waiting to see if my contact actually receives the invit. And/or if I receive his.

thanks again for your help, much appreciated

miss_souc
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (14,470 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 15 (14,467 Views)

Hi, I am new to Skype only a few days ago.  I have connected with a few people here in the UK, but my contact in Arizona is saying they have accepted me, but still I get the message that they have not shared their details with me..

I have spoken to them on the phone and I have, I believe run all the various options listed in your post here..  but still it did not work!

I am running Win 7 on a Dell vostro 1500 laptop..  I didn't have access to the MSN.com site through windows explorer, so I ran the reset routine..  other than that, I unistalled and re-installed as instructed..  I am on version 5.5.0.114  Any clues would be very much appreciated..

Thanks

KW
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 15 (14,416 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling