The MAJOR problem with Skype...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

The MAJOR problem with Skype...

[ Edited ]

Messenger users are really upset with this Skype transition primarily because Skype is not truly a part of the Microsoft ecosystem.  It doesn't integrate with anything nicely with Microsoft's ecosystem - it's pretty much just the same old Skype with Microsoft's logo on it.   We're even having troubles logging in.

These are just SOME of the main issues that previously worked fine in Messenger:

1. Favorites from my Microsoft contact list do not show as Favorites in my Skype list
  2. You can't do half the things you could do on Messenger (i.e. instant picture/video sharing, custom emoticons, etc.)
  3. It doesn't use "Connected Services" from our Microsoft account (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) like all other Microsoft services (i.e. Xbox, Outlook.com, Windows Phone, etc.). 
  4. The UI and emoticons are not metro style (consistent with all of the rest of Microsoft's apps).
  5. You have to click "Microsoft account" to log in, instead of being able to just simply login like you used to.
  6. While the video experience is great, the chat experience is horrible compared to Messenger.

They really should have waited until Skype had a major overhaul before forcing us to upgrade.

I really hope the Skype team acts fast to make this a truly connected experience because this is just one big mess.

jpMS
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 6 (1,186 Views)

Re: The MAJOR problem with Skype...

Make sure to bump this so they fix this!  :sad:

jpMS
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 6 (1,145 Views)

The chat experience is AWFUL. I could easily change my colors, my text, my backgrounds, have custom (and actually nice looking) emoticons.... I was forced to do this and I already hate it. There's a very distinct reason I used MSN/Windows Live Messenger over Yahoo or ICQ or Skype... and having to make this change is making me think I'll switch to something else. There's no good reason for me to use Skype... it's not what I chose, it's not what I like, it's not made for chatting, which is what I WANT it for. I don't need to make calls with it.... that's what I have a cell phone for. I don't need it for video chat... I can do that on my phone if I want to, and I don't have anyone I want to video chat with. So, it's all about the IMs... and Skype is ridiculously boring, uncustomizable...

I hope something is being planned to change this. If you're going to discontinue one thing that was popular and 'replace' it with something else, that something else should have at least some of the features of the first program, there should be some 'merging'. Otherwise, you're losing lots of people...

Katlee
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 6 (1,127 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you!  Completely agree 100%

Keep bumping this thread to make them aware of these problems.

jpMS
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 6 (1,108 Views)

Also - no email notifications for Outlook.com/Hotmail anymore! :sad:
jpMS
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (1,052 Views)

I cant even see my msn contacts even tho skype said I merged my msn account with it...any idea on how to fix this?
Bloodmoon60
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 6 (1,024 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling