Stop stop automatic updates

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Stop stop automatic updates

[ Edited ]

How do we get SKYPE to listen/read and understand.....I do not want them unilaterally entering my computer and DOWN grading me to a system that does not work.This has been going on for weeks......SKYPE 5.3 does not run on my machine  (Vista Home Basic), and I have ''corrected''all the stupid things that SKYPE support tell me is causing the problem....to no avail!! But auto updates keeps on hijacking my machine whenever I try to make a call.

What to do??

Anyone got any ideas??

Many thanks 

EDIT : title/message case changed

brumby45
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 51 (16,580 Views)

Re: STOP STOP AUTOMATIC UPDATES

[ Edited ]

One of many threads on this topic was active just in the last days. You might wish to read on taming unacceptable practices of updating to an extent and a timing that is just and reasonable in fulfilling the TOS.

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-want-to-turn-off-automatic-updates/m-p/51626#M5809

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 624
Message 2 of 51 (15,419 Views)

Many thanks...I have configured my Firewall appropriately.

David M

brumby45

brumby45
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 51 (15,409 Views)

You are welcome. Thanks for your appreciation.

kicks-mobil
Explorer
Message 4 of 51 (15,403 Views)

Hi I added the Skype server address into AvAST site blocker, then went onto Skype to make a call and the updater got me again!!! Can you confirm the address as  204.9.163.158??

Thanks

brumby45
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 51 (15,395 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes. it is effective if   204.9.163.158   is entered in the outbound packet filter as destination IP. If the firewall of the router is used, the entire network is protected.

skype-updates-packetfilter.jpg

the embedded graphics will be visible only after approval by board staff

identical: img202.imageshack.us/img202/9972/skypeupdatespacketfilte.jpg

kicks-mobil
Explorer
Message 6 of 51 (15,382 Views)

Hello Brumby45,

I too am irritated with the position Skype has taken that automatic updates can be foisted on me without warning or permission especially after their EasyBits game channel fiasco, so here’s what I’ve done to try to disrupt their update process.

I discovered the name of the file they were downloading and not only deleted it but created a 0 length file with the same name (details below). I then opened the permissions for that file and added user “Everyone” and “denied” all access to that user effectively making that file inaccessible to everyone except the file owner … ME.

So far Skype Automatic Update hasn’t said anything ... Your (our) mileage may vary.

The details:

First, cancel the Automatic Update request.

Next, discover the name of the file Skype downloaded and delete it (Remember the name though – write it down!) ... I used “Windows Key+R” (Run) and gave it %Temp% as the search argument to find “SkypeSetup.exe” in my C:\Users\”YourName”\AppData\Local\Temp folder. Right click and delete it. Now look for any zero length files in your temp folder and make a copy of one of them, renaming it to SkypeSetup.exe or whatever filename Skype used on your system.

Now the tricky part. Right click on the new file you just created and ask for properties. Next left click the security tab then left click the advanced button. Now left click “Change Permissions” and then “Add”. Enter “Everyone” (without the quotes) where it sez’, “Enter the object name to select (examples):” and click “OK”. Now check the “Deny” box for “Full control” and click “OK”.

Your system should complain mightily about how you just denied access to that file for everyone and only the owner can access that file now … click “OK” … that’s exactly the way you want it!

drs
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 51 (15,353 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please read the Skype "Terms of Use", which you agree to by using Skype:

5.3 "Skype may in its sole discretion require you to automatically download and install Updates from time to time in order to allow you to use the Software and you agree to accept such Updates subject to these Terms."

From: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/#use_software

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 8 of 51 (15,349 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 9 of 51 (15,341 Views)

I'm sorry, but just quoting the TOU in response to your users (legitimate) concerns does not constitute a useful response. Who goes around calling themselves "UberOverlord" and dictating that the TOU says "you signed up to it so we'll do what we like" - thats a really bad look.
Have you figured out that Skype is not mandatory for any of these users? That your competitors are offering similar (maybe better) solutions? Welcome to accountability - you need to fix the problem or the users will desert.
Thanks to the rest of you for posting the workarounds; no matter how these guys try to force their use model there will always be a solution - even if that amounts to switching it off.
Posted from Nokia N810
skype_lamb
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 51 (14,454 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling