Status won't change to "Away" automatically

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Status won't change to "Away" automatically

This was a longtime thread on the other board, but I have a case where the "solution" has never worked. That solution being go to options, change "Away" to something else, save, and then go back and save what you really want it to be.

This is happening on a standard, updated Win7 system with the latest version of Skype. It started somewhere in the 5.1/5.2 era, I can't remember exactly, so it wasn't always like this. Note that the "Away" status not only doesn't appear to chat partners, it doesn't appear to them if they leave the machine untouched for the given amount of time, so it's not a matter of the status not being communicated over the Skype network.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 63
Message 1 of 18 (9,211 Views)

Re: Status won't change to "Away" automatically

[ Edited ]

Dumb? is there any difference when:

The Skype client is minimzed to the toolbar vs having open windows on the desktop?

The Skype client has no windows open on the desktop, is not in the toolbar, and is only an icon in the system tray?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 694
Message 2 of 18 (9,207 Views)

Did you post in the right thread?

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (9,201 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, there could be something that is causing the system to appear as if there is activity going on.

After all, the auto-away status is not based on only Skype activity, it is based on activity for the entire system in question, keyboard input and/or mouse use/movement on a per system basis.

Without going into details yet, until I get an answer, it maybe possible to get auto-away to work, if something else ("another process/application") on that system is causing that system to think that there was keyboard input and/or mouse/movement, depending on the Window State of the Skype client.

I was trying to avoid, going into this, unless there was/is a difference on the Window state of the Skypeclient going on in this case. 

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 18 (9,198 Views)

I see, now that I understand where you're coming from I can see the relevance. I'll check it out at the next opportunity.

Yes, that makes sense, though I'm the only one installing things on that system, and I can't think of anything that I put on there in that time period that would cause such a problem.
rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (9,195 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, but since you are one of the few people currently with this issue, I think you have something different going on, then most people that do not have this problem.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 18 (9,193 Views)

[ Edited ]

i'd like to give some feedback on this issue, which affects me too even after trying the suggested solution mentioned by rseiler at first.

i have noticed that my skype status does change, but only when my music player is prompted as the active window. i use AIMP 2 as music player (on Windows 7). maybe that can give you some clue on what process is affecting the behavior.

hope it helps.

taoman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 18 (9,182 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean by "prompted." Do you mean status works when AIMP is not your active window or when it is (if it's the latter, that's quite odd, but Skype shouldn't care either way)? In my case, the only other active app would be Firefox, so if this isn't a case of some kind of Skype setting corruption, then it must be one of the tray processes or system services. I haven't narrowed it down yet.
rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Message 8 of 18 (9,173 Views)

[ Edited ]

Basically. There could be a running application that is making Windows feel that there is user activity via keyboard or mouse activity generated by a human being, when there is not, and it could be more than one application.

So, it is impiortant if you are going to "test" this theory, to stop applications minus Skype and see if suddenly, auto-away works.

You can change the time ("During testing") so that auto-away happens more quickly, by using the Main Skype client window and doing:

Tools ->Options -> General -> General Settings

Change the time of "Show me away...." and make sure the checkbox is set for it, and click the save button.

You can stop any other applications besides the Skype client 1 by one to see if the problem goes away, or stop all other running applications minus the Skype client at once and re-start them 1 by 1. To help isolate this, your choice. 

NOTE: Again, there maybe more than one cause for this, in other words just because someone says "Wow, xtz.exe" was what was causing this and someone says "I don't have xtz.exe" they could have abc.exe that is causing the same issue, on their computer, so I don't think one should think that only one application in the entire world can only cause this, there maybe many.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 18 (9,170 Views)

[ Edited ]

i mean the latter: automatic status change works when aimp IS my active window. it sure is the oddest thing. maybe aimp kind of overrides some other process sending 'fake user activity' or something. i don't belive i can be able to determine anything useful by closing and opening apps having such an odd behavior. hopefully a developer might investigate further.

taoman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 18 (9,163 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling