Status Icon Keeps Changing

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Status Icon Keeps Changing

I don't use Skype everyday.  When I do, I like to be seen as online.  Always online.  However, the status changes to Invisible, Do Not Disturb, or Away automatically without me knowing it.  Then people try to contact me and they can't.  It's really frustrating because then I try to contact them and they have already left.  So I end up emailing them and waiting for them to get their email that I got their message in Skype, but because the status wasn't online, I didn't get it.

How do tell the beast to stay on online mode and NEVER go to Invisible, Do Not Disturb, or Away?  I like Skype, but if I can't get messages then what's the point in using the program.

marcuschina74
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (12,312 Views)

Re: Status Icon Keeps Changing

On the Skype menu, go to Tools > Options > General options and uncheck the box "Show me as away when I've been inactive for....   Save the change.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 927
Message 2 of 23 (12,305 Views)

" However, the status changes to Invisible, Do Not Disturb, or Away automatically without me knowing it."

disabling the option mentioned by g4pilut should stop your status from changing from Online to Away after a period of inactivity, but it won't stop your status from changing to Invisible or Do Not Disturb

a third-party Skype addon could do this, but I suspect you are not running such an addon . . . or are you?

when your status is either Invisible or Do Not Disturb, your contacts are not prevented from contacting you, but most users won't bother to try if they see that you are apparently Offline (as would be the case when you are Invisible) or if they see that you do not wish to be disturbed

at the moment, I do not see any reasonable explanation for your Skype status to automatically change to either Invisible or DND unless there is some chance that someone else has signed in to Skype using your credentials and has set THEIR online status as you suggest -- if that were the case, then status of YOUR Skype client would change to stay in sync with the other client whose status was 'forced' to Invisible or DND -- you may want to consider changing your password if there is a chance that others may know it

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 307
Message 3 of 23 (12,294 Views)

I have the same problem.  It keeps setting me to do not disturb.  I postulated that because I have skype mobile on three different devices that it might be a property setting on one of those other devices.  I completely logged out of the other devices and only used my PC.  Still the same impact.  The only other thing I can think of is that I installed a 3rd party Outlook/Skype addon.  You don't happen to have the same addon installed, do you?

I agree, however, it's becoming more of a headache than it's worth.

sdt
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 23 (12,231 Views)

I have the same problem. I use Skype on multiple computers, including an Ipad. I uninstalled Skype on them all then reinstalled -- still have the problem of my status changing to "do not disturb" without me wanting that. It's very annoying and I am hoping someone can advise a solution.

Sandy111
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 23 (12,160 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please see this: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Unable-to-set-quot-Away-quot-status-manually-instead-Skype/m-p...

You may need to check to see if other software is causing this as well by stopping that software and then trying to change status.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 582
Message 6 of 23 (12,153 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem for me, just started today after upgrading skype (v5.9.59.115) on windows

No apps installed. "Show me as away..." was already unchecked, and the bluetooth problem also mention also was not the case... seems to happen every 10 mins or so, ill have to watch it more... I use this for business and can't have this switching to do not disturb.

For now I think I'll see if I can restore prior to the update and see if that fixes the problem

====

UPDATE: Restoring my computer back a day seemed to have fixed this problem. v5.8.59.158 (windows) seems to be working fine so far and has not changed status.

405Media
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 23 (11,642 Views)

Since I updated to the latest version of skype I also have the problem. Before my status is always online. Now its start to change automaticly to dont disturb. I didnt change any settings. And its really annoying since my contacts think i am not online or something...

tgoeminne
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 23 (11,523 Views)

Have you checked if Bluetoodh Headset Helper.exe is not accessing your Skype? 

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6600
Message 9 of 23 (11,517 Views)

This has nothing to do with Lenovo per se, just the latest version of Broadcom Bluetooth drivers supplied with Lenovo's laptops. I'm also having this problem on X220.

The proposed solution "Just deny access to the Bluetooth Headset Helper" is like suggesting "Don't play any music on your car's audio system" to a person that has problems with the car's audio system.

Disabling the Bluetooth Headset Helper's access to Skype takes away some useful features while using a bluetooth headset. I can still use the headset to talk on Skype, but without the helper, the "call" button on the headset doesn't end the call and doesn't accept an incoming call, the headset's display doesn't show the current talk time or caller ID on incoming call - all these features are very useful to me. However I had to disable the bluetooth headset helper because having a functional auto-away is an even more important feature, I don't want to go to Do Not Disturb mode and miss important calls and messages.

I understand that most likely the problem have to be fixed in the bluetooth software suite, but I'm also quite sure that Skype developers could add some sanity checks to prevent that kind of behavior from happening. I don't quite understand why a bluetooth software should be allowed to change the user's online status to DND anyway. At least this permission should be optional.

Would be great if Skype developers provided some kind of a workaround for this problem, because who knows how much time it would take for Broadcom to fix their software suite, and afterwards the notebook manufacturers still have to apply their own changes and package the drivers up for distribution (I can't install drivers from the Broadcom's website, only the ones I get from Lenovo).

heilong
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (10,633 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling