Stable Skype version for Windows XP?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Stable Skype version for Windows XP?

I have never had problem with Skype until a recent upgrade.

My Skype recently auto-upgraded to the newest version and my system is down every time I open it. I read some posting saying even if you redownload a older vision, it still doesn't work. (My mom was actually on line but it doesn't show on my Skype)
Someone helped me reinstall the whole computer system again including Windows XP Home 2004 edition (I guess so cause it is described on the disc). Then I download and installed at oldapp.com a Skype3.8.0.188 version. And when I open it the first time, it shows the webcam picture box and it took forever so I forced to close Skype. And every time I opened it after, it froze and  I couldn't do anything so I have to force to close it again and again.

Does anyone know what version is best for my windows XP 2004 home edition? How come mine still doesn't work? Does Skype support old version? If I have reinstall the whole system, the new version of skype should be gone. How come the same problem ( almost freezing screen right after logging in -- it keeps loading but will never get loaded, I could see the mainscreen) keeps happening? My CPU is high when that happens.

Anyone can help me? Thanks! I have wasted so much time on Skype. Really hate the latest version of skype!!!

yueninglan
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (43,831 Views)

Re: Stable Skype version for Windows XP?

Try version 4.2.0.187 here:

http://filehippo.com/download_skype/8287/

or here:

http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=93

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 7 (43,706 Views)

Hi, (first posting) I too have been having increasing difficulties with Skype and other well established items of user software due to the makers of this software wanting to matrix everything into info clouds which are live and insitu and consuming vast quantities of RAM to support "superior" user experience as soon as you permit login. Re Skype I was getting functionality limitations and frequent drop out / signal downgrade due to insufficient processing power. [My System is an old Dell Pentium IV, 2Gb RAM unit]. I too reverted to Skype 3.8 (the same version as your reinstall) but before doing so I used a well known-_Bit deep search uninstaller I then treble checked my system using the onboard windows advanced search for hidden files function and on the third sweep still found Skype 5.5 remnants. After "complete" uninstall I was lucky, cause when I reinstalled version 3.8 I quickly went to the 1 new notification and was able to halt and stop the auto-update which fires up immediately. Then going to advanced settings I unclicked all updating. So as it seems I have an actual functional version of Skype (old but beautiful). However, I have discontinued auto-buy/recharge in my profile and will likely migrate to (don't want to advert' it) "Ni_buzz". This other prog, at least in its early development phase still seems to be RAM friendly. I don't know how long that will last. It is true XP and computers suited to it will soon be forced off line. Cheers and good luck!

Nimbuzz
crikey
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 7 (43,627 Views)

Agree on 3.8.0.188, the last classic skype version and it consumes only ~50 mb of ram.
——————————————————————
Lithuania, Standard time zone: UTC/GMT + 02:00 hour. Windows XP sp3. Skype 3.8.0.188
——————————————————————
Found this post useful? Please give Kudos↘. Helped to fix your issue? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
leon187
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 7 (41,432 Views)

its good try it http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=93?download

fjhdsk
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (41,327 Views)

For Windows 7 users you can try Skype 3.8.0.115, as there is responses that 3.8.0.188 crashes upon installation. http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=76

——————————————————————
Lithuania, Standard time zone: UTC/GMT + 02:00 hour. Windows XP sp3. Skype 3.8.0.188
——————————————————————
Found this post useful? Please give Kudos↘. Helped to fix your issue? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
leon187
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (41,313 Views)

Just be aware that you may loos all your contacts when installing this old Skype version.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6938
Message 7 of 7 (41,311 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling