Sound check sounds like a chipmunk

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Sound check sounds like a chipmunk

SKype worked great until last week when I called someone and they told me my voice sounded like a chipmunk and then went to low man voice and back to chipmunk.  The person I talked to sounded fine on my end.  I uninstalled and reinstalled skype but still having the same problem. 

When I record a video on my computer it plays back and sounds fine.  My voice is good.  Can anyone help me figure this out>>>>?????

daniwalkerlive
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (3,096 Views)

Re: Sound check sounds like a chipmunk

Does that problem occur with just that one contact or more than one?

How about if you call the Echo / Test service?  How does your recorded voice sound there?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 2 of 10 (3,092 Views)

We had the identical problem.   It happened with more than one contact.  We did the Skype sound check, which sounded fine.   We then went back to try again and all was well.  Never did find out what the issue was.

aprildog
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 10 (2,470 Views)

I have this problem using the latest version of Skype (as of 7/2013) on Win 7 64 bit.  On the first call either from a new boot or a wake up from sleep mode, Skype will not allow my voice to go through or it will sound like a chipmunk.  The second call is ok.   This is true using the Echo test service or calling anyone else.  Very annoying as I often forget.  I use a Logitech Pro 9000 camera/mic on USB. 

Bable
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (2,017 Views)

Do you have all the latest driver updates for your soundcard?

Open Windows Device Manager. Expand the key: Sound, video and game controlers. Are all the listed devices shown as working there (no exclamation sign)?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6839
Message 5 of 10 (2,012 Views)

I upgraded my motherboard a couple of months ago to an ASRock 970 Extreme 4 which uses on board audio by Realtek.  No sound card is used and I checked the device manager and there is no yellow exclamation mark.  Though I can't remember when the problem started it may be roughly about the time of the upgrade.  However, I have had the same issue in the past, well before any upgrade and you can see posts from 2012 from others on that.

Bable
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (2,001 Views)

Looking into the specifications of this motherboard, it appears that the onboard soundcard is 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec). Try to open the control panel for this soundcard and set the sound output to stereo. 7.1 surround sound settings may not work well with Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6839
Message 7 of 10 (1,987 Views)

I had the sound set to quadraphonic since I'm using 4 speakers with a sub woofer.  I have temporarily changed it to stereo to see if the makes any difference.  I do want t make clear that all alls after the first one, work fine.  Its just the first call after wake up or boot up.  Sometimes even the first call works ok but mostly not.  If there were a conflict with the sound system i would expect there to be problems on all calls. Incoming sound is always ok jut the outgoing sound is a problem on this first call.  Check the microphone in the tools section shows the mic to be working.  

Bable
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,978 Views)

I've taken som etime and did a bit of testing.  The chipmunk sound still happens.  Sometimes, instead of the funny sound, the person I'm calling just can't hear me, even though I can hear them fine.  These things happen when using the echo service as well.  It seems that the sound from my mic (Logitech webcam Pro 9000) is altered or not handled properly by Skype on the first call.  If check my mic on Skype tools I always see the response with the green level meter.  My conslusion is that Skype has a bug.  Now I wish they would get someone to fix it.

Bable
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (1,849 Views)

I have the same issue, and it's irritating me to the point I'm considering leaving Skype.  I was using Windows 7 64 bit, but am now on Windows 8 64 bit.  I also have the Logitech 9000.  Every time I reboot or turn on the computer, on the first call I make, the person on the other end hears chipmunk.  On every call thereafter, everything is fine.  Really annoying.  I use the echo test service for my first call after rebooting now so that it hears the chipmunk.  All of my drivers are up to date.

Argonauts
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,543 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling