Skype wont work / install

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype wont work / install

Can somebody please help me.

I spend alot of money on skype credit and am getting very annoyed with the application.

I had skype 5.3 installed on laptop (packard bell) running windows 7 starter, all worked ok.

After an update some time ago and allowing the application to start when windows booted I had problems.

Everytime I clicked the skype icon on desktop to logon (as skypoe didnt automatically start) I was told skype was already running.  I could not access the application so had to shut down via task manager.  Then I could start Skype via a link from the program tray.

I was so fed up with this I decided to completely remove the application as outlined in support pages (coppied personal data, removed via control panel, then deleted folder (as control pannel could not completely remove the app), then completed the regedit steps).

After rebooting and downloading the setup file, and installing; the setup apears to run but never initiates.  Ive tried this several times. Ive tried crerating a new user account and installing there, but nothing works.

Is there a skype tech support person that can helpme please.

Chrispy.

crispyburrows
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (1,382 Views)

Re: Skype wont work / install

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 fails do:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 7 (1,378 Views)

Thank you for your fast reply to my problem, I still have issues and regretably it didnt work, please see my responses (in italics):

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7I do have windows 7

Stop Skype. Skype isnt or wont run.  I cannot run skype at all, it didnt install properly, there is no icon on desktop and no link to the application from the "start/all programs button).

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

There is no icon to access properties from.

I can access C: program files/ skype/  from windows explorer.

There are 2 folders "Phone and toolbar"

The "phone folder" contains one file ( a 14'787 kb application file with the skype icon next to it).  Right clicking on the properties of this does not give any compatibility for windows 7.

The compatibility box was not checked initially.

Try to launch Skype.

Skype wont launch.

I did try double clicking the application icon from the folder, nothing happens.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

I am definately running windows 7 starter

As shown under "View basic information about your computer" (from control pannel).

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

Opening internet expolrer 8 (8.0. 7600. 16385 to be exact) with msn in toolbar; msn homepage opens and i get a prompt box to select which country i am in.

IE works fine

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

It worked fine (internet explorer), hence next 3 steps were not completed.

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

Msn works fine

Skype cannot be started or stopped

3. If Step 2 fails do:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

All windows updates are up to date.

There has not been any hardware additions to the machine or software additions at all.

This current situation arose when trying to resolve the problem of skype saying it was "already running", when trying to launch skype.

The application was removed as detailed in your support pages, then an attempt to reinstall a fresh version.

Im concerned you misunderstand my problem from my origonal post; skype will not run hence cannot be "stopped".

I have no technical knowlage of the application but I make an asumption that when I origonally tried to remove skype some files are still on my machine and conflicting with the fresh install.

Is there anyone from Skype Technical support that can help with this or has seen this before?

Thanks in advance.

Chrispy

crispyburrows
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (1,361 Views)

i cant seem to be able to download skype

elizabetholiver
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (1,221 Views)

elizabetholiver wrote:

i cant seem to be able to download skype

Please try downloading/installing from here and choose the run or open option when prompted: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

If this fails, please delete your IE ("Internet Explorer") browser cache, cookies and temp files and try again using a IE browser window, even if IE is not your default browser.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 7 (1,213 Views)

I am stiill have problem in installing skype what can I do plz answer me

thank you

NNNano
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (1,201 Views)

NNNano wrote:

I am stiill have problem in installing skype what can I do plz answer me

thank you

Please use this to install 5.5.0.117: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.5.0.117.msi

NOTE: You may need to uninstall first before going to a newer/older msi version for Skype, so in your case, it maybe best to save this file as well. To install/uninstall using this file, simply right click on the file name and choose Install or Uninstall.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 7 (1,185 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling